How would you fix this?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by CuriousGem, Oct 19, 2019.

1. CuriousGem

CuriousGem Member

(Apologies if this is the wrong board, I figured you would know best about prepping)

The handle on the door has come off. It looks like they've used some sort of wood filler. I'm happy to put on a different shape handle and paint the door to cover any damage but what can use to fill those holes that I can drill again and put a new handle on. I have some Toupret but don't know if that would do the job.
    Thanks
    upload_2019-10-19_15-6-51.jpg

Raj Patel likes this.
  2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Raj Patel and blarblarblarblar like this.
  3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I should of added. With doors there is a lock side with solid wood in correct place for handle screws. It is marked at the top of door if it hasn't been cut off when fitted. If you hang a door wrong then you end up fitting the handle to the side that's hollow and that's what you have found. The fixings above will sort

4. blarblarblarblar

blarblarblarblar Active Member

Make sure the latch can take bolt throughs....

5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Ah yes..might only get 2 in... Top and bottom...

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Best to change the latch as well for a ‘bolt through tubular latch’ then no problem with using 4 handle bolts

Ok, 2 bolts will hold the handles on but rose plate will look odd with just 2 fixings

As above, SF don’t sell these fixings so Amazon, eBay, etc, available in small quantities, ie, 4 bolts, various lengths available

Wayners likes this.
  7. CuriousGem

CuriousGem Member

Sorry, you've lost me. I need to buy the screws above and one of these? It doesn't really need a proper bolt (it's the door to the cupboard under the stairs), just enough to keep the door shut

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Had you thought of using a magnetic catch if it is only required to hold the door shut.

9. CuriousGem

CuriousGem Member

I'm happy to have a go at DIY but I've never done anything like this before so apologies if my questions seem frustrating. What would I do - keep the handle and put in a magnetic catch? There's already a latch in place so would the magnetic one fit in the same space?

10. CuriousGem

CuriousGem Member

Wouldn't that be what's already in place? There is a latch? I've had to try to hold it shut with tape so the door doesn't get stuck closed!

11. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

If you look at the edge of the door, in-line with the spindle that passes through the door, there will be the latch that closes into the door frame, with the mechanism sitting inside the door
    Highly likely that its a 'tubular latch';

https://www.screwfix.com/p/tubular-latch-nickel-plated-63mm/38380#_=p

With a door handle with a round base, the screws are fairly short and tighten into the wood that's between the handle and the tubular latch
    Depending on the diameter of the handle base, if you used a longer screw, there's a good chance that 1 or more screws would line up with the latch and prevent you from fully winding them in

With the handle bolts that Wayners suggested, these are drilled completely through the door and bolt the two handles together. 1 part has a male thread like a normal bolt whilst the 2nd part has a female threaded socket that it tightens into, clamping the handles tight to the door

Again, good chance of 1 or more bolts fouling on the latch so swap out current latch for a 'bolt through tubular latch'

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SILVER-B...hash=item48bf1a9139:m:mcZ3pQGBwmZ9UPyj9D_Ghgw

Could do away with the latch and swap for one of these as its a stairs cupboard; (as an example only)

https://www.screwfix.com/p/adjustable-roller-catch-nickel-plated-23mm-5-pack/35788

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bales-cabinet-catch-chrome-plated-19-x-10-pack/23002#_=p

if you removed the latch and fitted one of the above, then you could remove handle from inside cupboard, cut a neat square of wood to sit where handle was and using longer screws, screw through handle and door into block of wood

DON'T remove inside handle if tubular latch remains as someone / child could easily become locked in under stairs

Obviously with the above ball type catches, a simple push and the door opens from inside, should a person become shut in

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Look on Youtube, plenty of video's showing how to fit a magnetic door catch.

13. CuriousGem

CuriousGem Member

I still have the parts from the original handle, including the latch, which looks to me like a 'bolt through tubular latch' - would it still need changing? I've ordered the bolts Wayners recommended. Given the damage to the 'wood' of the door, would it hold without doing something to repair or patch underneath the rose?

14. CuriousGem

CuriousGem Member

Don't worry, I've put tape over the catch and the door's been propped open for the 18 months since I moved in! I wish I'd thought to ask here sooner

15. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Use some Milliput to pack as easy to use. Other products like 2 pack wood filler will make a mess. Only you can make the decision to fill by looking at it...Milliput is like bluetac but dries rock hard

16. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

A tubular latch and a bolt through tubular latch are essentially the same thing yes

The bolt through has the addition of 2 holes / slots to allow 2 handle bolts to pass through
    I posted links to the two types so take a look and you can see what I mean

In your picture, you can see the holes at 3 and 9 (on a clock face) are in line with the latch. May have had short screws in the handle but for bolts, will need to pass through latch, hence 'bolt through'

Easy enough to remove your latch and take a look though
    As you've not messed around with these before, fair enough, so here goes

Look at edge of door and there will be a rectangular plate around the latch, remove the 2 screws
    If the latch has been fitted nicely, it could well be tight in the door and wont simply pull out
    Grab both sides of the bar that passes through the latch and pull forward towards edge of door
    Obviously you can only pull forward a few mm until bar hits edge of hole but often enough to loosen the latch
    Now remove bar and remove latch - take a look to ID what type

As for a repair to holes, personally think not needed as you will be drilling through these holes from one side to another
    The door bolts simply pass through the door and latch and screw into each other (as I explained above)
    The bolts will secure and clamp the handles to the door so that little damage is neither here nor there

You need to drill these holes through accurately so they line up otherwise can be fiddly to get both sections of bolt to engage
    Often these bolts are 'snap off' type so may well need to reduce their length
    If you do snap em off at pre marked sections (these sections have no thread) screw them together and undo a couple of times first before poking through door as sometimes the very end of the thread can be damaged by snapping them. Screwing them together and undoing them a couple of times will sort out the thread. Easier to do loose before connecting them inside the door

17. CuriousGem

CuriousGem Member

Milliput is also 2 part, yes? Want to make sure I'm looking at the right thing (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Milliput-M...K1FH6KWYFYZ&psc=1&refRID=R83G9V4A5K1FH6KWYFYZ). Given the damage to the 'wood' I think I do need to put something. I'd cut a circle of wood and stick that inside the rose but I don't have any.

I love coming on here and learning how to do stuff!

18. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

How you going to fix wood in? Those doors are cheap so go with fixings and plan b hang new door.

19. CuriousGem

CuriousGem Member

D'oh. The penny's finally dropped what the difference is. What I have in place is not a bolt through. The current handle (which is round) only has 3 screws to hold it in place. Will that work with a bolt through or will that also need replacing? It's

20. CuriousGem

CuriousGem Member

I'd do that but I don't have the means to cut it straight (and more expensive, weirdly especially as I need plain)