Makita DHP459 Brushless Combi Drill - burning smell

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Jitender, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I have had this drill for just under 6 months, I purchased it a set with an impact wrench. It has a 3.0Ah batteries Li-ion. It just seems to not have enough power compared to my lase Dewalt 18V XRP 2.4AH ni-cd drill.

I was drilling a hole in the joist, on full charge and it would stop still, this was a 24mm flat wood drill bit. There was a burning smell and the drill was hot.

Has anyone experienced any problems with brushless drill/drivers?

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Think its time to get another drill now.

Had quite a hard life, and probably wasn't designed for some of the large holes.

It is now struggling with the smaller holes so time to get a new drill.

Will be getting another Makita as most of the tools I use are powered of this platform.

Before I had the Makita 18v drill I had a Dewalt 18v ni-cad drill which was very powerful, but batteries dies so started going with Makita stuff. The thing I liked about the Dewalt drill is that it had a 43mm round collar after the chuck. This was used to secure a handle as well as securing the drill into a drill stand.

I purchased this stand around the same time.

[​IMG]

So I am looking for a more powerful drill which hopefully fits this stand as on occasions I need to drill a square hole, i.e. in a box section of steel etc. so holes need careful alignment. But not sure if any of the Makita range will fit?

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

This was the old Dewalt drill I had:

[​IMG]

The grey coloured colar allowed it to be held within the drill stand.

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Just emailed makituk.

Hopefully they can advise whether any of the drills will fit the drill stand.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    Jitender likes this.
  6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I knew you would have an answer to my problem :):):)

I don't actually think the Makita drills will fit the current drill stand I have as its looks like its slotted in place.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

8. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

If it’s 6 months old it’s still under warranty and should be repaired by them FOC

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Wish I had sent it back when I first encountered the problem.

Drill wasn't really suitable for some of the large drills which needed large torque.

6 months have long past as drill is now over 4 years old.:(

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

11. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Must remember to read the OP date. 100 lines coming up :rolleyes:

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:eek:

But, Jit updated his own thread,but it took 4 years though...:D

Jitender likes this.
  13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Going to get that drill stand.

Think I will wait until the sales start for the drill. Can hold off for a while.

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Black Friday is November 29th this year.

15. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Was going to mention that. The FFX one on ebay was a good sale too.

Wish list for this year is the drill and looking to get an 18v makita die grinder :D as have quite a bit of metal finishing to do, but need to get a 3mm collect as an extra.

16. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

I've had a DHP481 since April 2015 and it's still going strong after four years of use in my work if that's any help.

At the time I bought it, I think it was the 18v drill with the highest torque figures available from any maker.

longboat and Jitender like this.
  17. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

That's the one I've got on my wish list. Just waiting for an offer on this. hint hint :)

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

19. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

That's exactly the same one I'm looking at :), expect in a bare form only which comes in around £97.

There is a 6mm collet supplied bu have emailed makitauk to see if a 3mm bit fits in there.

There have been a number of situations this week where i have had to open up some holes in steel work so can see its' uses.

Had some gates made up as well and couldn't get all the weld splatter off with the grinder alone so would make this ideal.

20. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Never used one before but think a variable speed one is going to be better for different applications, as this is just one single speed.

I had my 18V Makita angle grinder nicked this year (along with a 5ah battery):mad: and just bought a variable speed one which is pretty awesome, the slower speed can be used for polishing etc.

I don't see any brushless model die grinders available so I reckon they will probably be bringing something out as they're effectively use the same motors as in angle grinder ,a s are always updating their range.