Leaking Shower tray

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Martin T, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Martin T

Martin T Member

Hi all

I had a new large shower tray installed and then had my tiler tile down to the bottom, which I then sealed, although the the very bottom of the tiles does have some grout.

However the shower tray seems to be flexing and breaking the sealant bond meaning it's leaking onto the ceiling below.

I'm spending quite a few hours cleaning off the old sealant but before I try and reseal it is there any guidance or things I can try to hopefully avoid having to do this again in the future. Pic attached

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

If the tray is flexing then it needs lifting and refitting so call the installer back.

3. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

If you can rake out the grout to get a deeper and thicker silicone bead in, it will retain more flexibility. Really though the tray needs to be solid as noted.

4. Martin T

Martin T Member

Problem is then that means I have to hack the tiles away.:( The plumbers were my worst trade mistake by far, there is no way they are coming back

5. just pumps

How many sides of the tray are tiled and do the bottom tiles fit behind or slightly on top of the tray

6. Martin T

Martin T Member

All of the sides are tiled apart from where you enter. The tiles are slightly on top of the tray as the tray was installed prior to tiling. Thanks

7. just pumps

At least the tiles are in the correct postion and if you take your time the bottom row of tiles might just come off ok.

8. If the tray is on legs you might be able to reach under and make sure they are all tight to stop the flexing - requires the floor to be rigid though. As said above, you need a 2-3mm gap between the bottom of the tiles and the tray, free from grout, to ensure you have a good strong bed of silicone.

9. Martin T

Martin T Member

Thanks all. The tray is laid directly onto the floor. I'm going to try and dig out the grout at the very bottom all the way around and then get a good silicone in there.

I'd rather try and avoid taking the tiles off at least for now.

There are so many silicones on the market. Any recommendations please.

Thanks

10. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

Put plenty of bags of sand in the tray before you re-seal it. Let the sealant dry completely before you remove them.

The idea is to squash it down onto the floor, opening the largest possible gap to fill with sealant. The sealant will then be under compression when the tray's empty and relaxed when you stand in it, but never under tension.

Pay particular attention to seal the tray to the tiles under the bottom of the wall channels.

11. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

I've used our sponsor's 'No Nonsense' sealant for years and have had no problems. The secret is to use plenty so it has enough elasticity to accommodate slight movement.

12. Martin T

Martin T Member

I was trying to think of a way to weigh it down so thats great. Thanks for the sealant advice too/

This forum is great cheers all