How many batteries do you have?

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by gpierce, Oct 29, 2019.

1. gpierce

gpierce Active Member

Been meaning to pick up some extra batteries for my 18v gear for a while now, and for no reason at all other than curiosity, I wandered how many tool batteries people have - as in for your main kit, not counting things like a Paslode battery for your gun.

I've got about 9 18v Tools (Combi, Impact, SDS, Jigsaw, Circ, Planer, Torch, Radio, Vac) and use 4 batts between them, 3x 4ah and a 3ah.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got two Bosch 2Ah,two 4Ah & a odd 6Ah battery for the 18v circular saw.

3. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Got 2 x 5Ah and a 3Ah, does the trick as I'm just DIY.

4. soabar

soabar Member

Dewalt, 2 x 18V 5Ah & 2 x 14.4V Ni-MH.

After a long life the Ni-MH's started to go the high performance, ultra fast discharge way.. hence going down the 18V route. Ni-MH's still good for small jobs.

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Ive got 3 x 3Ah and 2 x 5AH ones.

I've got a strimmer/brush cutter so use the 5AH ones on this, as well as higher demand tools like grinder etc. The 3A ones are coming upto 5 years old now and aren't holding as well as they did when first new. The fast 22 min charges is really good for the 3AH batteries.

I have the two charges. One single and the other a dual so charges two at a time.

6. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I have lots (I honestly couldn't tell you how many) - Milwaukee 12v & 18v in various sizes. I buy them when on offer and just grab another as needed when out working and charge them in the workshop overnight.
    The different sizes come in handy when I need endurance or conversely, lighter weight, if using tools overhead for instance.

7. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Same here. 3×3Ah, 2×5Ah. I haven't got a cordless brush cutter or angle grinder though and the batteries do me just fine.
    The cordless tools they are used for are the combi's, impact driver, and circular saw, thats it.
    I always promised myself that when my corded sds give up the ghost (and it finally did yesterday) i would replace it with a cordless version, but on reflection i though that on the occasions when i do need an sds drill the thing certainly gets some stick. I can't be bothered with overheating batteries that won't charge because they are too hot so i bought another 240v.
    Could have saved £32 with this offer from ffx, but i did get a case with it and next day delivery so that makes up for the extra expense.

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Have quite a fair collection of cordless tools now. Everything from drill driver to brush cutter.

Got cordless SDS too and handy when working off ladders or the occasional hole.

But still need mains for breaking and chiseling work. Ended up getting a 240v SDS as needed two on large project when I had some helping out. Other one is playing up and not really like it from day 1 (Makita). This is a 110v one and carrying transformer around can be a nightmare.

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Need to he careful who you buy batteries from as lots of fakes about.

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Sometimes can be a pain when you have only two batteries and constantly relaying them between the charger so you can get job done.

A video I watched on YT where someone converts an old battery to run on a direct power supply. This would be very useful where you dont need the cordless option.

I think another manufacturer does this called power packs?

11. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Had some exhibition stand builkders working for me and they told me they have ebough batteries to keep them going for a full day of take down where it is literally hours of just removing screws. The plan to have enough for a full day of work with no-recharging facilities plus one more just in case.

Jord86 likes this.
  12. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

More or less the same as me, as part of my main kit and not counting tools by other brands 5x5ah Dewalts covers a full labour intensive day comfortably.