Socket to turn on hoover when using power tools.

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by hotnuts21, Nov 4, 2019.

1. hotnuts21

hotnuts21 Member

Does anyone know of a way to turn a hoover (dust extraction) on when a power tool is turned on?

I read that a master slave extension/socket could do this but the only ones I can find are for TVs or PCs and either need an infra red input or that they don't work with tools due to only switching off peripherals not on.

Anyone got something they can recommend please let me know.

Thanks
    Paul.

2. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

A master and slave socket will achieve what you want. The one I used to use with a Henry vacuum worked perfectly.

3. hotnuts21

hotnuts21 Member

Yeah but searching for one keeps bringing up the aforementioned pc or infrared one. Even the guys at Screwfix couldn't help. Must be under a different name?

4. WillyEckerslike

I bought mine off eBay. The listing doesn't exist any more but It was like a plug in 3 way socket adapter and it probably was designed for a pc originally as it is surge protected. It works really well.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

6. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Power take off switch. Seen one and are £30-£35 ish..Not got time to look but are available.

7. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

My vacuum has a fitted socket and as soon as there is current flowing though that, the vacuum starts up.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Same as my Makita vacuum.

9. WillyEckerslike

There are lots of different ones that do. Some of them run on for several seconds to empty the hose once the main machine is switched off.

10. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

This is mine, made by masterplug, but not available through amz at the moment.

I have also made a nifty little unit with a sound activated relay and radio transmitter/receiver which starts my vac when there is sound and switches off when there isn't. Mic unit fits close to the tool, and vac plugs in to the receiver - I use it on 110v kit (track saw) that the adapter won't work with

KIAB likes this.
  11. Dodgydino

Dodgydino New Member

I brought a hoover from b&q that had this feature built in...

12. Dalcras

Dalcras New Member

The socket strips are normally for pc's. You can make a device up like the one in the post link using this device if you are electrically minded. https://www.fruugo.co.uk/kemo-m103n...MI7uvKyovD6gIVRe7tCh1zAQc8EAUYASABEgJvL_D_BwE

13. Timbo66

Timbo66 Active Member

I bought a dust extractor vacuum with pto from Lidl. Less than £60.

14. BigDan1190

BigDan1190 New Member

Tad pricy, but then I did get my parkside vac with take off plug for £20 on facebook marketplace :p

15. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

Intelli Plug should do this for you.

16. Robwijn

Robwijn New Member

Here's a simple and cheap circuit you can make look at the YouTube video in the link

Chris McAndrew likes this.
  17. Chris McAndrew

Chris McAndrew New Member

Great video - you must be a teacher?