Flooding the neighbour below

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Gradan, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Gradan

Gradan New Member

I have just recently moved into a flat about a month ago and my neighbour has come us and told us she has water dripping into her bathroom. Since moving in I’ve noticed that the silicone was lifting from the bath and we have re sealed it, we’ve tried a border around the bath which didn’t work and it’s been resealed for the 3rd time on Sunday. We have let it dry for almost 48 hours and when I had a shower last night the water was still getting underneath the bath as the silicone had lifted. We have taken the panel off and it appears that the bath has been placed on an old shower tray instead being taken out and the tiling is from the ceiling to the floor. Could this be the cause of the problem? Is the bath moving too much? Is there any solution to this? We have someone coming out tomorrow to look at it but it’s driving me crazy. Any help would be appreciated

2. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Sounds like you need it all removed and start over again to get a professional install.
    No point in adding silicone to try a long term fix on an unstable and probably badly supported bath or shower tray

3. Gradan

Gradan New Member

that’s what I’m thinking I don’t want someone to come out and re seal it when it won’t work in the long run. I’m assuming the old shower tray needs to come out, bath fitted back in properly and re tiled ?

4. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

Fill the bath with water to the overflow before you re-seal it and leave it to go off for 24 hours before letting the water out. This means the sealant won't be under tension when you use the bath.

Clean the area where you've removed the old sealant with meths before you re-seal it.

If the sealant isn't sticking to the tiles though,
    really it all (ie the bath and tiles, etc) needs taking out and redoing properly. Sorry.

BiancoTheGiraffe and Gradan like this.
  5. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

Snap!

Heat likes this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

7. Gradan

Gradan New Member

thank you. I thought this would be the case. Everytime we re seal the bath we put water in to weigh it down, leave it to dry, turn the radiators up hoping that’ll help the drying process but nothing seems to be working

8. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

Think the long term solution is to take the bath out, remove the shower tray and ensure its then standing on a good stable platform. If the wall is currently tiled ceiling to floor you could see if the tiles beneath the bath level will come off easily. If they do take the row off along the bath rim so you can cut the bath rim into the wall effectively and then recut that row of tiles so they sit down onto the bath rim. That will provide a much better opportunity for a good seal with silicon after the weighting down with water exercise. A lot of faffing about, depends on how easily the tiles come off - or you could retile the whole wall.

The Teach and koolpc like this.