RCD protection yes or no ?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by sams, Nov 7, 2019.

1. sams

sams Member

ok removed ceiling pendant in a kitrchen and replaced with 4 downlighters . the existing circuit is none RCD protected.

ive been informed by a certain techincal helpline the circuit now needs RCD protection, this is news to me as i have not installed the existing cables to switch ect just replaced lights

2. You have added and wired extra lights to the circuit, so yes it now needs RCD protection.

Draetsir likes this.
  3. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

Agreed, RCDs are now required on domestic lighting circuits, if the circuit is modified (replacing the lights, which are fixed equipment counts as that) then it must be brought up to spec. If you have a modern type consumer unit you should be able to get an RCBo to fit for that circuit or move that circuit to the RCD protected side if there is space.

4. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Just checking.
    Is this replacing the pendant with a light fitting that has 4 down lighters, or have you installed 4 separate down lighters?

5. Woloumbo

Woloumbo Active Member

it isnt just cables buried in a wall that require RCD protection. the regs now require light fittings in a domestic environment to also be RCD protected

Draetsir likes this.
  6. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Quite right ,but the regs are not retrospective ,and if all that the op has done is changed a light fitting ,there is no requirement to now upgrade the circuits protection with an RCD.

7. Woloumbo

Woloumbo Active Member

hes swapped a pendant for 4 downlights. that is not like for like and so would need RCD protection.

8. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Has he though ? That's why Spinlondon has asked the question. Let's face it ,it wouldn't be the first time that a diyer had used the wrong terminology.

9. Woloumbo

Woloumbo Active Member

im pretty sure thats what hes done.

“removed ceiling pendant in a kitrchen and replaced with 4 downlighters‘’

10. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

You may well be right.
    Maybe he will enlighten us.

11. PandA3

PandA3 Active Member

I agree with previous responses. If the question is about how do I bring my house lighting circuit up to current standards having adapted one of them then yes, you have the answers above.
    Interestingly tho, for the sake of argument, If you had kept your pendant and instead of putting a lamp in it, you put a surface extension lead with 4 surface downlighters daisy chained, (LED lamps so less load than original) then strictly speaking you haven't changed any fixed wiring and therefore the new regs wouldn't necessarily apply.
    Yes, I know it's a dumb analogy but Just pointing out that sometimes doing a decent job brings on additional requirements, whereas a DIY bodge wouldn't do!
    Crazy world we live in.. but safety first?

12. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

A mate of mine has just installed quite a few led downlighters (with my help), there is no rcd protection at the consumer unit. Although there are no "new circuits" involved the fact that we have added to the existing circuits means that rcd protection should be provided to comply with 18th.regs.
    As i'm no longer a scam member I can't do a c/unit change for him so i'm thinking of fitting a "front end" 30m/a rcd.

13. Alan sherriff

Alan sherriff Active Member

I would not recommend front end rcd as it is only a few lights and not outdoor socket or bathroom special location I would wait till you are ready to ns tall new consumer unit or just install a metal housed stand alone rcd just lighting circuits making circuit a lot safer

14. Woloumbo

Woloumbo Active Member

RCBO or RCD on that circuit only