Old thorn M56/76B boiler

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Jack1111, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Jack1111

Jack1111 Member

Hi
    I have an old thorn boiler which I think the thermostat on is knackered, am I legally allowed to change this or is this permitted?

thanks

2. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    The rule is, you must be competent, are you competent to do this ? It’s your call.

if you do it and cause any problems, ........
    It’s doing it for another person, is not allowed

the reason I say this, it can happen the due to safety issues the boiler stops working, blocked flue, not enough oxygen to avoid co, gas etc,

and if you get it going, and bypass the safety, it’s dangerous.

butt, if you’re competent, go for it

good luck
    Peter

3. Jack1111

Jack1111 Member

I feel competent to complete it as I’ve seen and it’s only a few electrical lugs and the thermostat. I’m a qualified multi skilled(electrical biased) engineer with my level 2&3&4 so I feel I could take it on easy enough. Just worried that I’d be breaching regulations but after all I won’t be touching any gas.

(This is the thermostat replacement)

Attached Files:

4. kiaora

kiaora Guest

that’s fine, if you feel confident, that complies with regs

5. Jack1111

Jack1111 Member

is changing the thermocouple okay to change too or no?

6. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    As far as I’m aware, the gas regulations state , that to work on gas appliances, you must be competent,
    If you are doing this professionally you must prove competence,

to prove competence, you must be registered with gas safe, and hold appropriate qualifications and certification.

So, if you are working on your own appliance, and are competent, that satisfies the regs
    But you can’t work on another person’s appliance,
    It is actually a criminal offence,

regards
    Peter

Jack1111 and KIAB like this.
  7. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    Just had a quick look at the wording in the document.

to be prosecuted you must fail to comply with ‘approved codes of practice’

“Approved Code of Practice
    This Code has been approved by the Health and Safety Executive, with the consent of the Secretary of State. It gives practical advice on how to comply with the law. If you follow the advice you will be doing enough to comply with the law in respect of those specific matters on which the Code gives advice. You may use alternative methods to those set out in the Code in order to comply with the law.
    However, the Code has a special legal status. If you are prosecuted for breach of health and safety law, and it is proved that you did not follow the relevant provisions of the Code, you will need to show that you have complied with the law in some other way or a Court will find you at fault.”

hope this makes it quite clear !

good luck
    Peter

8. Jack1111

Jack1111 Member

Okay, thanks for your help, I shall attempt the thermostat change then. It is frowned upon within industry for people to carry out there own work even tho there are legally allowed?

9. kiaora

kiaora Guest

normally, diy peoples, may not feel competent, its the key word.

we arn't yet a dictator state ! but the onus is on you, if you make a mistake and cause damage to property or life, is your responsibility.
    good luck

peter