Paint Bubbling after newly plastered

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by kingblaze1986, Nov 6, 2019.

1. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Take skirting board off.

Whats on the other side of that wall

2. kingblaze1986

kingblaze1986 Member

i'll have try but is there a way of taking the skirting off without damaging the wall?

3. kingblaze1986

kingblaze1986 Member

i've just had another look and i can see that a damp proof course has been previously done by previously owners, all around the front and side of the house (its an end terraced). The holes for the dpc stops where the dining room is on the outside. There has been an extension to the kitchen and as far as i can see there is no DPC holes or brick/cavity vents beyond the dining room so nothing for the kitchen. Also when i checked the back garden i cannot see any brick vents or holes for DPC on the outside so maybe this is the reason for damp as there is no ventilation?

While checking back garden, there are quite a few gaps and holes for the water to seep in under the property? the gaps are where the floor links to the wall for kitchen and dining room. please see attached pics.

maybe i should try and fill in these gaps and see if it helps?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  4. kingblaze1986

kingblaze1986 Member

oh and also i have been quoted £140+VAT for a Drain CCTV Survey to be done, this is only for peace of mind to check that there isn't any cracked pipes causing leaks etc

What you guys think?

5. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Probably best to just let the plaster dry out. Take skirting off. Scrape bubbled paint off. Leave to dry. See what happens.

kingblaze1986 likes this.
  6. kingblaze1986

kingblaze1986 Member

ok i'll have to work out how to take the skirt off without damaging the wall.

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Any work you do will void any guarantee the builder may have given to you.

8. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Lol.

9. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Run a blade across the top of skirting, its full length and then prise off skirting.

10. kingblaze1986

kingblaze1986 Member

hmmm might have to give the builder a ring then ...but he did say its a damp problem and not his problem

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You didn't mention that in the original post!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

12. kingblaze1986

kingblaze1986 Member

:oops: my apologies!

yes builders sanded down a few times and repainted the area, it came back- bubbled. Then they sanded down again, injected some damp proof, waited for it to dry and then re painted. Still the same THEN they said its damp and not their problem hence why i am trying to work it out :(

13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The builder should have made you aware of the damp prior to any plastering work.

14. kingblaze1986

kingblaze1986 Member

he didnt notice any in the dining room. neither did i.

15. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Like i said, take skirting off, scrape off bubbling and leave for a couple of months. Dont put anything on it. See what transpires (big word for astravax) :p

gadget man likes this.
  16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You stupid boy!

gadget man likes this.
  17. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Lol

gadget man likes this.
  18. jazzlover

jazzlover New Member

Hi - Did you ever sort out this problem? We had a similar issue, room was treated for damp (injected), re-rendered and plastered. Waited 2 weeks until plaster was surface dry and then painted. A couple of weeks later paint was bubbling (only on external walls). Walls had been mist coated and then emulsioned. Interestingly the Damp proof guy said we should wait a minimum of 6 weeks before painting whereas plasterer said we could paint as soon as plaster was dry.

19. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The damp proof guy was correct especially on cold outside walls.

20. jazzlover

jazzlover New Member

Thanks, assumed if the plaster was surface dry any moisture still in the masonry would just evaporate through the paint - obviously a wrong assumption