Soft close cupboard door not staying closed

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Benno1875, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Benno1875

Benno1875 Member

Hello

We have a soft close cupboard door that has started to remain open. It doesn’t soft close either. I’ve played with the adjuster at the rear of the hinge and it’s not made a difference. Any ideas please?

Many thanks in advance.

Phil

Attached Files:

2. Alwaysworking

Alwaysworking Active Member

Take a photo of the hinge

3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Hinge needs to come out a bit. You can go in, out, up and down and left and right but if it's worn out, replace. Try and understand how to adjust first rather than random fiddling. Buy new soft close hinges if you can see its had it. It's really simple... Well I think it is.

blarblarblarblar likes this.
  4. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I used to think that as well until I came to a door that wouldn't close properly on a kitchen I was installing. I tried everything and even began to wonder if I'd hung the wall unit out of true (the walls were quite uneven).

In the end I decided to just swap the hinges - problem solved. I had a closer look at the hinges I had taken off and one of the small clear dome buffers that are supplied as part of the pack had detached itself from its backing and stuck inside the hinge mechanism. Lesson learned.

Wayners likes this.
  5. Benno1875

Benno1875 Member

Here are some photos of the hinges just in case I’ve missed anything obvious.
    image.jpg image.jpg

Cheers

6. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Assuming that you're looking from the face of the cupboard with the door closed...

1. The screws securing the plate to the carcass can be slackened off to allow for vertical movement and retightened once correct.
    2. The screw on the left of either picture will move the hinge side of the door towards or away from you.
    3. The screw on the right will rotate the door clockwise/anti clockwise - this is compounded by adjusting the top and bottom hinges independently of each other.

My guess is that it's number 2 - well that's what I usually find - and that one of the hinges is causing the door to bind on the carcass. That's where I would start. As Wayners said - just swap the hinges if that doesn't work but check first that the hinge post is secure and not rotating/loose in the carcass. Good luck.

It looks like you've got mice by the way.

7. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Think I have this correct.Move door out a bit..
    IMG_20191109_104744_compress14.jpg

8. Benno1875

Benno1875 Member

Thanks for that and thanks for the point about the mice! I’ll get the traps out.

9. blarblarblarblar

blarblarblarblar Active Member

I’d probably go with replacing tbh, and yes they are very easy to adjust, people seem to make too much of it.

10. Benno1875

Benno1875 Member

Sorry for the delay. Thanks for all the advice. Fiddled with the hinge and got it sorted. Got rid of the mice too!