Hanging tools on plasterboard wall

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Kate George, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Kate George

Kate George New Member

I'm a silversmith and I have recently moved my studio from and outside premises with OSB walls to the spare bedroom in my home. I'm used to having all my tools mounted on the wall but my property is rented and the walls are plasterboard so I'm conscious of ruining the walls.

I was thinking of mounting some plywood on the wall so I can attach my tools to the plywood rather than making loads of holes in the walls. I was thinking using a combination of French cleats at the top and then the screws to reinforce at the bottom and sides using the metal plasterboard plugs. The plywood will be 18mm x 606mm x1220mm.

Does this sound viable? Has anyone done anything like this before and have any tips? My tools and brackets weigh no more than 30 kilos.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Kate

2. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Hi Kate, I'm assuming your plasterboard walls are "dot n dab" in which case you should really screw the plywood with long screws that go right through to the block wall behind - watching out for cables and pipes. In case the wall is studwork which is more likely with an internal wall, then should screw directly into the timber studwork.

3. Kate George

Kate George New Member

Hi Hans

Thanks so much for replying. It's an internal wall so do you reckon it will be studwork? Any idea on how I find out where the studs are? It's a brand new build so is there some sort of formula for where they will be placed?

4. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Hello Kate.

If it's a stud wall the chances are that the plasterboard has been fixed with screws or nails and you will be able to find these with a small magnet, Although this is a quick, tried and trusted method, boards are being fixed with gun grade foam more and more which will make things trickier in the future. Once you've found a couple of fixings it will start to show a pattern however don't let where the board has been screwed into any noggings confuse matters. Studs should be at 400 or 600mm centres.

Good luck.

5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Magnetic tool rack fixed to ply works well. I use in boxes, van racking etc. Find studs in wall as 2 good fixings is all you need for ply. .

6. Kate George

Kate George New Member

Brill thanks so much, this is really useful info. I am heading upstairs with my magnet now and googling what noggins are haha.

7. Kate George

Kate George New Member

Oh that's really good news, thanks so much

8. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

A noggin is a slang term for your head/brain - 'Use your noggin'.

A nogging (with a 'g') is a cross bracing piece of wood which is joined between the vertical studs of a wall. The are some other lovely slang names for them but they escape me at present. Don't worry, almost everyone on here uses noggin.

9. Kate George

Kate George New Member

Ahaha really made me laugh. Good to know, thanks again. I will let you know how it goes