Fitting 15m Radiator Valves onto 10m Pipe work

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by S.Shah, Nov 14, 2019.

1. S.Shah

S.Shah New Member

Hi Guys, sorry if this has already been discussed. Three of my radiators are stone cold & not getting warm. I have tried:
    - Turning off all the warm radiators & only leaving on the ones that do not turn hot.
    - I have also tried balancing the rads using the lockshield.
    I am thinking to change the radiators valves & lockshields. The current valves are not thermostatic. I am wondering if I can use 15m radiator valves & lockshields on to 10m pipe work? And if yes, how-what tools or parts do I need?
    Also, is it necessary to change the lockshields if I install TRVs?
    Apologise, I have not plumbing experience, but struggling to spend money to call in a pro to do this job.
    Thanks

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You can get 15mm x 10mm compression reducer, Conex S68 DZR is one available, there are other 1 piece adaptors available..
    But, rule out other possible problems like pump is knackered.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    S.Shah and Joe the Plumber like this.
  3. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

Please get your central heating pump checked first. Replacing radiators that aren't getting hot, especially given what you've already tried,
    may otherwise just lead to new but still cold radiators.

4. S.Shah

S.Shah New Member

I also checked the circulation. One pipe leading to the radiator is hot & the other is cold. When I bleed it, water comes out straightaway-so there is no air stuck in the system either.

5. S.Shah

S.Shah New Member

Thanks mate. When I check on Screwfix website, quite few are listed & there is not much in the description for someone like myself to decide which one do I need. A link will help. Thanks

6. S.Shah

S.Shah New Member

Thanks mate.I will have it checked, by looking at the pump the light is green on it. It is a system boiler I have. There is a large water tank upstairs & the pump is fitted next to the tank while the boiler is downstairs. The pump is lit green, not sure if it is supposed to show different color light when it gets knackered.

7. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

It's not really the light being on. They can get clogged up or become slow or weak and that can mean the furthest radiators away don't get the water circulating to them.

If it has adjustable speeds (changed by a little lever or a button), make sure it's on the highest.

S.Shah likes this.
  8. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

I've used these Screwfix reducers on my 10 mm system. However as others have said it is unlikely that three rads have all got faulty valves at the same time.

S.Shah and KIAB like this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I searched for that & couldn't find it.:mad:

Muzungu likes this.
  10. S.Shah

S.Shah New Member

Makes sense, thank you.

11. S.Shah

S.Shah New Member

Thanks mate.