New RCD box

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Sharon NW, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Sharon NW

Sharon NW New Member

Mike and Tony, I'm no relation to anyone standing for election. I'm from Malta, where sun shines 300 days a year, and now live in Lancashire ... go figure:)

Jord86 and Sparkielev like this.
  2. Sharon NW

Sharon NW New Member

This is really helpful Tony. Will pass it on for sure.
    And yes, my liability had crossed my mind, so I'm going to chat with letting agent about that.

3. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

A landlord scrimping on costs? never. How can he test the RCD at all, especially a BG one, I've had several fail to trip at all, most flag up a touch voltage limit and one as recently as two weeks ago tripped on the 50% test.

4. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

True but I gather cost is an issue or would of mentioned it

5. Sharon NW

Sharon NW New Member

6. Sparkielev

RCBOS are individual RCDs for each circuit to put it simply, instead of protecting half the board, more expensive than RCDs as you would need one for each circuit, they are around £20- £30 each depending on make

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  7. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

An RCD module is an RCD that protects a group of MCBs (circuit breakers) or the whole CU, RCD costs around £20, MCBs cost c£5 each. RCBo is a combined MCB and RCD so you have one per circuit, they cost in the £20 to £30 bracket (there are some cheapo brands at around £12 each, but you get what you pay for) The huge advantage to RCBo's is that you will only loose one circuit with a fault and the circuit is identified by it tripping so it saves time fault tracing.

8. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

I'd sooner be in Malta than Lancashire this time of year for sure!!

9. Sparkielev

I'd sooner be in Malta any time of the year

10. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

You could always move to Yorkshire - it should always be sunny there as the believe the sun shines out of their ****s.

11. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

12. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Thanks Robert ,you have started my day off with a right good laugh mate !

13. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select