New Drain Line into existing manhole

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by qamikazi123, Nov 16, 2019.

1. qamikazi123

qamikazi123 Member

Hi all
    Im after some advice please. This is a bit difficult to explain so i have added some pics.
    I am adding an ensuite to the house. As part of this i am adding a new soil stack as the original soil stack is at the back of the property and ensuite is at the front.

My problem is i need to route this stack/line into the existing manhole. I am adding and IC where there is a change in direction. The direction this new line enters the manhole is opposite to the direction the manhole currently flows.

I was thinking of breaking into the manhole and then benching a substantial enough bend to direct towards the outlet flow.
    Can anyone advise if this is ok or if there is a better solution. I do not want to in anyway alter the existing clay pipes which i think are 6 inch.

I have added a bend straight over the outlet (not blocking it) - this is just a dry run for illustation - do you think this is ok or does it need to come in and benched into a bend towards the flow.

I have building control involved who i can call out at some point but im just wondering the options

Attached Files:

2. You are doing it all wrong, that is a complete bodge you have attempted.
    You should be coming in the side of the manhole, cut out the benching and fit a barren/slipper bend to suit the angle required and rebench again accordingly.

qamikazi123 and KIAB like this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Your spot on.:)

qamikazi123 likes this.
  4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Think a new chamber would have been better option.

Want a rest bend on bottom of stack pipe.

New run is a little too long winded and need a prodding point as well.

Is it a shared sewer?

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

That makes senses,easier to use plastic chamber,who today builds a brick manhole,very few peeps I would think.

6. qamikazi123

qamikazi123 Member

Yes it is a shared sewer. Soil stack is at the side of the house and it does have a rest bend and also a rodding access at the bottom. My issue is knowing the correct way to take it into the chamber.
    What if i had 2 seperate chambers allowing me to come back into the main chamber at the right angle?. If this is ok can i use mini chambers or the big ones?.

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Even if you come in at side and re haunched it doesn't seem logical. As you want to be following the direction of flow.

If you continue with current setup or is likely to have problems.

8. qamikazi123

qamikazi123 Member

Thats an existing one from originally when the house was built. I dont want to mess with the original clay piping. Rather just safely add the new line and leave it

9. qamikazi123

qamikazi123 Member

Thanks for the advice. Eventually it will go the correct direction of flow if i came back in the side wouldnt it?. Would there be a problem doing it that way?

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Don't still like the idea seems more logical to have new chamber nearer to outlet rather than coming up stream.

If BC are involved look at getting some advise.

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Quite easy to bring it in through left side looking at manhole,slipper to drop contents into channel in direction of flow.

But, a new chamber could make things a lot easier.

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

What's the other clay pipe going to near corner of extension?

13. qamikazi123

qamikazi123 Member

Do you mean bringing it in from the side closest to the house?.

Would i need a second chamber for another change in direction coming into the side?. Would such a small distance going back in really need a full size second IC?

14. qamikazi123

qamikazi123 Member

Out onto the road. Its difficult to get an IC there because it is so close to the house.
    I could possibly dig in the sidealley section where i could access it before it goes out onto the street??. But again. Dont want to mess with the main clay sewer. Not even sure im allowed to touch that. I will get bco in for final say but wanted to understand the options.

15. That is why they make L/H and R/H barren bends, also with an assortment of different angles. Have you actually worked on proper brick built manholes, they are miles better than the plastic when done properly.
    He also has an interceptor in the manhole he is working on.

16. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Have done work on a few, agree brick ones are much better.

Wouldn't he be better just tapping into the sewer line nearer to toilet using 45° T, than going longer route. May not need a new IC but rodding point would suffice. All depends on what BC are happy with.

Theses are the only options you have so approach BC and see what they accept.

17. qamikazi123

qamikazi123 Member

I called the bco late on friday to briefly discuss so should be getting them out mon/tues.
    The bco stated they wanted a full size IC at any change in direction. But i never aksed about Teeing into the main sewer. Is this really advisable?.

18. qamikazi123

qamikazi123 Member

Hi Deleted member 11267
    Thanks for the advice.
    To come into the side there will be 2 changes in direction. Would i need 2 IC"s to achieve this or is there another way?

19. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

T in seems more sensible and everything is all going in the same direction.

They may want an IC but could get away with a smaller one.

Keep us posted as really interested in drains

20. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Is it a vent?