Metal bonding

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by TheJay, Nov 19, 2019.

1. TheJay

TheJay Member

I bought a metal drawer unit and one of the joins has come apart. I don't have welding equipment and wondered what glue/epoxy or other substance people would recommend to join it back together? It will be slightly weight bearing.

I have been looking through Amazon and although there are products with good reviews, they also tend to have a lot of negative reviews leaving me confused and unable to decide what to use to bond the two pieces of metal back together?

Can anyone please help?

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Araldite would be good if the metal parts overlap.

3. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

I've been amazed at how well Gorilla glue works on metal. In fact there doesn't seem to be anything that it won't stick. How well it will stick and for how long if there are many varying stresses on the joint is an open question, but all households should have a bottle of it anyway, so it's worth a try.

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Could you reinforce the joint with a metal bracket of some sorts - loads of sizes and types available

Either drill through and rivet or nut and bolt or self tapping screws - just depends on material thickness

Could even put a block of wood on inside corner and screw through metal into wood block

Several options (apart from gluing)

5. TheJay

TheJay Member

I really believed that this would work. I applied some and then clamped it with mole grips and left it for over 24 hours. As soon as I tried to remove the grips, it was apparent it was not stuck together.

I had sanded the surfaces beforehand as well.

Now i've got to try and remove the glue and still figure out the best glue to use. I've read Araldite isn't the same anymore...

I wanted to avoid a mechanical fixing because I don't want anything showing at the front. The metal is about 1mm thick.

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

What did you use that failed as you do not say?
    Araldite Original, Araldite Rapid, Gorilla Glue?

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Will be helpful if you post a picture or two of broken drawer and unit - may help us come up with some more options

I’m guessing that this is a nice looking unit so can’t have an ‘industrial’ looking repair that shows ?

Another option is to find a metal fabricator and look at having it welded. Often based on local industrial estates or even an independent car garage may do this for you

Anyway .... pictures :)

8. TheJay

TheJay Member

Gorilla Glue

[​IMG]

9. rogerk101

Gorilla glue needs humidity to set. If you haven't damped the parts before sticking them together, the glue will not set.
    With metal, glass or ceramics, you have to dampen the metal first.
    With wood, there is enough humidity in the wood to set the glue.

10. TheJay

TheJay Member

So if I clean it and then add water, you are confident this will work?

11. rogerk101

I'm confident enough to give it a try. I would not 'wet' it ... I'd just dampen both surfaces with a damp cloth before applying the glue to both faces.

12. lacaivy

lacaivy New Member

I agree with this. It's magic.

13. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

JB Weld might also work.

14. TheJay

TheJay Member

I did try again and it didn't work. I gave up and reluctantly used a pop rivet, even though it's not the prettiest solution...

15. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

Its a Raaco cabinet, I have half a dozen in the workshop, they have been made for years and always pop at the bottom, all mine are rivetted. do the other side to, makes it look like its supposed to be that way.

16. TheJay

TheJay Member

I was going to until it took me 20 minutes to drill one side!

17. Dam0n

Dam0n Screwfix Select

What were you using? A sausage?

18. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Try using the pointed end! :oops:

19. TheJay

TheJay Member

A HSS bit at low speed without cutting oil.

20. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Wasn’t the same chap other day that was snapping HSS bits whilst trying to drill a small hole in pewter :confused:

I mean yes, quality varies with drill bits as with everything in life but...... perhaps using a sausage would be better :)