Strange little thing next to ceiling light fitting in kitchen

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Hazyfix, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Hazyfix

Hazyfix New Member

I don't know if it is anything to do with electrics but there is a little decorative thing sticking out next to my light fitting in the kitchen. It looks like it's been painted over a good few times. It's only about an inch wide. I am planning on getting new light fittings soon and this is in the way but really not sure what it is. Its a 1930s house and when I moved totally unmodernised. Any help or ideas would be great.

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You got gas?

Is there a outlet on the side,too much shadow to see.

3. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

Either it's a brass knob/wreath holder someone has screwed into the ceiling to attach a cord to (say for a drying rack) or maybe a decorative plug to an old gas light point.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Me think same it's for a old gas light.

Tony Goddard likes this.
  5. Tony Goddard

The light fitting itself looks like it could have been a gas one converted - could be a plug or the head of a tap (pilot control??) hidden in the ceiling for the light.

KIAB likes this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Gas valve

7. Hazyfix

Hazyfix New Member

Thanks all for your help so far. This is pic from directly underneath. There is nothing else to see around it .

So if it's an old gas lamp that has been converted to electric then that button /knobs is now redundant so can i just remove.

Sorry for a really daft question but did gas lamps use mains gas?

Attached Files:

8. Tony Goddard

Yes, they did use mains gas, some limped on in use until natural gas replaced coal gas and they were replaced or converted. If it is, as we suspect a converted gas lamp then it has almost certainly been disconnected when it was converted. However I have found live gas points after all these years

9. Hazyfix

Hazyfix New Member

Thank you. I had a new boiler a couple of years ago and had a new gas pipe from the meter to the cooker and to the boiler as the old one was thin and outdated so I'm sure it is not connected to anything now as I can Trace the gas pipe all the way round my kitchen.

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got caught out here with a gas fan cock which was plastered over, & it turned out to be very live.:eek:

11. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Lift a board above and see what is above it.

12. Hazyfix

Hazyfix New Member

Thanks will do. Its under the bath but should be able to get to it.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  13. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

If its under the bath, it could be for releasing the water out! :p

KIAB and teabreak like this.
  14. Tony Goddard

If it is a gas tap you will have to take it out from above anyway unless you want to cut a hole in the ceiling - let us know what it is when you find out

15. Hazyfix

Hazyfix New Member

Will do. I suspect that is why it's still there if its not easy to remove.