Vacuum cleaner cordless - recommendations

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Muzungu, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Out looking for a cordless vacuum cleaner for around the house and am frankly brain dead now as to the number and types available. Looking for one that also converts to a handheld (for stairs) and don't particularly want to pay Dyson prices; are they really worth it? If I could get one with two batteries all the better as they all seem pretty limited on run time.

Recommendations please people; say £150 - £200, or is that too cheap for a good one? I am fortunate in being 10 minutes from just about all major stores so no problem in touching and feeling.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Shark are suppose to be good,cheaper than Dyson or Vax.

Got advantages cordless, but do wonder how the compare to mains models for suction power.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  3. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

Can't really fault our Dyson cordless apart from run time, but can still do upstairs, stairs and most, if not all downstairs, depending how quick we move

4. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Yes, I would agree. Just trying to consider convenience against actual cleaning power and if it is therefore worth it to go cordless as well. Still keeping the Vax 240v for blasting the carpeted rooms now and again.

5. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

We have a vax think it's obsolete now, but it's very good, in fact the Dyson is in the garage! The two batteries give more than enough time to do the house and the lack of cable is a surprising advantage. The trend on the newer versions to have the heavy bits at the top where you need to hold them is a bad idea in my opinion, also they don't stand on their own in the way a traditional upright does. It's also got a decent sized bin, some are about the size of a coke can.

I've heard good reports on the Gtech air ram, that just falls into your budget

When the vax gets replaced it will be another cordless, but keeping the upright design, which currently limits it fairly significantly

6. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

We have the Gtech upright and also the hand-held jobbie

7. dinkydo

dinkydo Screwfix Select

Word of warning on Shark, we have just replaced a corded upright one for a Vax, it was only 20 months old and blew up, the main problem with them is no one will repair them

8. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Did you get a refund for the failed Shark?

9. dinkydo

dinkydo Screwfix Select

No I didn’t Craig, I’ve just checked again when I bought it, it was in fact just over 2 years old not 20 months, they advertise a five year warranty but to get this you have to register it online at the time of purchase & I failed to do this, the lady at customer service said if I paid £60.00 she would activate the 5 year deal which meant I would have another 3 years left to run, however when I asked how would I get it repaired she said one of their diagnostic people would diagnose the problem over the phone and they would send me the part and they would give me instructions on how to fit said part, I have never heard anything like it in my life so I didn’t bother.

I must have phoned about 10 local appliance repairers and they wouldn’t touch a Shark Vac, was pretty sure it was the motor that needed replacing, so seeing as I was going to bin it I had a go at dismantling, as you would guess special tools and security bits were required, so off to the tip it went,

her indoors liked it though and preferred it to the Dysons we have had.

10. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

You've been had by their false warranty nonsense. You are covered under the Consumer Rights Act, goods must last a reasonable time. Manufacturers can't get out of that requirement and 2 years for a vacuum cleaner is not reasonable. Have a read up on it and visit the Consumer Action Group and post on there, you will get lots of help.

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

The Consumer Rights Act 2015.

• Goods must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality
    • During the expected lifespan of a product, now the consumer is entitled to:
      • An immediate refund up to 30 days after purchase if the goods are faulty
      • A full refund up to six months after purchase if the goods can't be repaired or replaced
      • Some money back up to six years after purchase if the goods do not last a reasonable length of time (as set out in the Limitations Act 1980)
    • Digital content and services are covered under the Consumer Rights Act
    • Unfair contract terms - now the key terms of a contract, including price, may be assessed for fairness unless they are both prominent and transparent
    • Contract terms must be designed, negotiated and entered into with the consumer in a fair and open way
    • Contract terms must not cause a significant imbalance between the rights of the retailer and the rights of the consumer to the detriment of the consumer

12. dinkydo

dinkydo Screwfix Select

thanks for the info lads, I should have been aware of the consumer rights act, as this happened a couple of months ago and the vac went to the tip I will have to chalk this upto experience, wonder what sort of restitution I would have been entitled to ? a repair or some money back ?

13. dinkydo

dinkydo Screwfix Select

thinking about this again, is there anything to gain with paying for a 5 year warranty (you are actually paying for 4) the deal is with Shark is you register online at the time of purchase and you don't incur a cost, but is even this worth doing ? considering the Consumer Rights Act ?

14. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

I take the view that all warrantys are a con, at least in aggregate. The people selling them must earn a profit so ultimately the consumer loses out.

koolpc likes this.
  15. dinkydo

dinkydo Screwfix Select

I agree hans I never ever pay for an extended warranty, but with Shark and this register online thing should I have done it or just rely on the Consumer Rights Act ?

16. dinkydo

dinkydo Screwfix Select

Ok while I have your ear, I had my car serviced about 2 months ago at the main dealer, it is 2 years old and has covered 17000 miles, during the service I get a phone (as you do) call telling me it needs new rear brake discs as the present ones are scored, my rear pads have 8mm on them the cost would be £320.00 I tell them to leave them as they are, would you think this may be covered by the CRA ? (you can feel slight scoring, the front are smoother)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  17. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Agree with that. Individually they may look appealing, say on a dishwasher, but once you add everything up it soon gets to a significant monthly sum. I don't take it out on anything although I did consider on the dishwasher but held to my principles! The calls you get after buying anything, I am thinking AO in particular, are quite blatant. They go through the extended warranty spiel and then say "I'll just take your details" without actually asking whether you want it or not, you have to actively say "no". Script no doubt carefully worded to stay within whatever the legalities are.

Hans_25 likes this.
  18. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Interested in a cordless vac too.

19. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

20. dinkydo

dinkydo Screwfix Select

looking at this Muzungu, the most expensive part is probably the battery and these only come with a 2 year warranty and that is so long as you remember to register the product with Shark, seeing as they tell you that the batteries may be goosed after 2 years , would you be able to make a claim through the CRA, I wouldn’t think so