650mm worktop and offsetting base cabinets

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Graeme101, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Graeme101

Graeme101 New Member

Hi Everyone!

My first post, hoping to get some advice, I’m fitting my new kitchen shortly, I’m only fitting the cabinets and will get someone to fit the worktop.

I’m getting a 650mm worktop and I am planning on offsetting the base cabinets from the wall 50mm using a batten screwed to the wall, my question is does this batten need to be exactly level with the base cabinet top or as I am planning having it a 6-10mm below, it seems more straight forward to do this when lining up the first base unit against the bottom of the tall unit in the corner, I just don’t want the worktop fitter to say it should be level to add extra support but I can’t see how 50mm unsupported worktop at the back would matter.

The worktop is a 20mm solid laminate.

Any advice would be grateful.

2. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Are you using end/decor panels as they will need to be deeper to accommodate the offset (if visible of course). As far as your batten goes it shouldn't really matter but why wouldn't you have it level with the carcasses?

3. Graeme101

Graeme101 New Member

Thanks. There will be one end panel and one tall end panel but these are both 650mm.

My only concern was I have to level the first base unit with the bottom of the tall unit next to it, and to level against a top (the batten) and the bottom seemed like it could go wrong as I thought it would be safer to just have the batten slightly lower

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Start from the lowest point of your floor, and depending on floor thickness finish set your cabinets height off the depth of the plinth you have chosen plus 10mm or so, offer up the first cabinet to the wall plumb and level, mark the wall then remove cabinet and fix the batten from that point all the way around the kitchen spot on level. Use this as your datum for the tops of all the base units and indeed the rest of the kitchen.

kitfit1 likes this.
  5. Graeme101

Graeme101 New Member

Thanks, that makes so much more sense than what I envisaged doing

6. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Spot on, no point at all in setting the batten lower than the top of the cabs, unless it's as bent and twisted as a very old Alsations legs :D

7. Dan dan the man

Dan dan the man Active Member

20mm tops need lots of support so best set the batton level to avoid sagging if the cabinets don’t have a solid top.

8. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

20mm tops need supporting with steel braces front and back between cabs, but the gable ends of each cab is fine otherwise.

9. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Use a laser level. If you haven't got one i can recommend this one https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-quigo-self-levelling-cross-line-red-beam-laser/4708x. When levelling cabinets I use 4 little "bricks" with a line marked part way up - set them on the top of the cabs and use the laser level to level up the cab tops to the lines marked on the little bricks - the bricks make the laser line dead easy to see. You could even use little stacks of lego bricks if you have kidlets.