Gas Meter re-siting, price too high! £3100

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Jitender, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Not getting anywhere.

Tried ringing the energy supplier to see if they would change the meter as account on mums name and on priority service.

They said they would only move it it was too high and un-reachable.... what about being too low??

Any way other suppliers have different policies.

One option s to apply for a disconnection first.

then apply for a new connection at a later stage.

the quot would then no come under 'non standard'

Just trying to save ourselves some money here as £3100 is way too much.

Once meter is out there wont be any daily standing charge to pay, so supplier is losing money and customer.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Some energy suppliers will relocate meter FOC,had a list here somewhere,EDF don't.

What about CAB adding their weight.

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Cadent have given me the direct number for the 'non-standard team' and they open in 7 minutes.

So going to see if they can do anything?

KIAB likes this.
  4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Npower sad they would carry out the disconnection for free.

Then a case of getting Cadent to carry out a 'new connection'.

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Not getting anywhere with cadent.

So the best thing to do is apply for a disconnection.

Th lady said we are on the 'non-standard' team and offer the bespoke service.

I have jut done an online quote now on a non-standard and it is coming in at £500!!!!!!!

So much difference in prices--------

Should of went for a disconnection first, and avoided paying the £428 survey fee!!!

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Rang Cadent last week saying I was going to have the gas meter disconnected by energy supplier.

I asked what would happen if I didn't get the gas re-connected. They said they would disconnect from main road!

I said this wasn't possible as it's a shared supply.

I can't get a 'New connection' until I have the old 'Disconected', in this instance disconnection means capped off in the ground with no riser

They said they would ring back in 3 days..

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Had the call today and this person seems much more helpful.

So basically to re-cap:

I will apply for a Disconnection (£1330) and a New connection (£500), and these can be applied at the same time. Online the price for theses come in at £1830 total, so a lot less then the £3,100 price I was given for non-standard, and on top of this a £428 non-returnable survey fee.

I asked if they did both together, if there was anything they could do with the price :), in my eyes a new connection is much more work then a disconnection which basically requires a stop end on this stub of pipe.

The operator confirm that they no longer do dual feed supplies, the current supply is shared with the neighbour on a 32mm LP pipe.

He said they would run a seperate supply in for me on 32mm as they stopped doing shared 4 years ago.

This all goes against what the surveyor said and indicated on the plan which showed they would just cap off one end and 't' off for my supply?

The good thing he said is that the £428 I had paid for the survey would be deducted from the disconnection fee, so bringing it down from £1330 to £902.

Still need to check the new connection as run could be a bit longer than 5m to the valve before I go ahead.

Hans_25 and Wayners like this.
  8. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

This all confirms the madness that is about. Think everyone is happy to pay for costs plus profit but this figure of 3k is just wrong. Hope you sort out op

KIAB likes this.
  9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Need them to get back to me as it's getting cold. And there is a 6 week lead time, so could be looking to get this done in new year.

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Surveyor came today, I wasn't at home so he did the survey alone.

Want's me to do the trench work now :(

I have some yellow ducting and will be putting this in the trench so the new gas line can be pulled through.

Tried to get some money back from the already supplied and fitted recessed meter box.

Going to start digging it out tomorrow.

So will be running a new separate supply just for my flat. And given a date to do it in the second week in January 2020.

11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Gas meter valve.

The cast iron lid had rusted up and seized.

Used a multitool/angle grinder to cut around the lid to loosen up. Now opens up easily, just needs a new coat of yellow paint.

upload_2019-12-3_18-5-24.png

Removed loads of soli to expose the valve.
    upload_2019-12-3_18-7-8.png

12. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

Must have been a few years ago because the gas boards were abolished in 1972!

13. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I say gas board but whoever was doing the work local around 2008 ish

14. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

Sorry - I was just being a bit cheeky! It has always irked me how British Gas have tried to carry on the impression that they are the "Gas Board" and use that to justify astronomical prices - expecially to OAP's who still think of them as "the gas board".

15. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Just got back, been a hard day today and totally knackered.:(

Began digging near to isolation vale. The orientation of pipe was found by looking inside the cast iron grid to give us a rough idea of location

upload_2019-12-4_17-7-56.png

The share gas supply pipe (32mm) can be see to the edge of the trench.

Laid a length of 32mm MDPE pipe over the ground so could spray the trench outline, a straight trench with corners wouldn't have worked especially with this size of pipe as needed gentle curve and radius on the pipe.
    upload_2019-12-4_17-8-38.png

Some tree roots in the trench needed to be cut out.
    upload_2019-12-4_17-34-9.png

Trench work nearly complete upto the edge of concrete path. Used 2 lengths of scaffold board either side to support the ground and prevent the trench from collapsing. The trench and current gas pipe is roughly 450mm below the ground level.
    upload_2019-12-4_17-16-7.png

All now backfilled apart from the concrete path.

I will be suing yellow gas ducting as advised by the surveyor, this means that the trench can be backfilled. Not shown - a length of wire has been run inside the duct so it can be used to pull the pipe through at a later date.
    upload_2019-12-4_17-18-50.png

Ducting bought upto to and past the isolation point. Taped up the wired and sealed up the end with tape so dirt dosnt make its way down the duct. Trench partially filled with 10mm pea gravel and 4" above the duct detectamesh has been installed. This will provide a warning if digging occurs later in this area, the mesh has a wire in the center so can be used with equipment to locate the run of pipe once backfilled.
    upload_2019-12-4_17-20-58.png

Detectamesh - Gas
    upload_2019-12-4_17-24-38.png

Ducting carefully channeled under the electrical supply cable. Some of the porch footing was broken off so to allow the ducting and eventually the pipe to sit flush to the wall.
    upload_2019-12-4_17-25-9.png

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    Hans_25 likes this.
  16. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Texted the surveyor to see if they can push the job forward, as now all ready.

5 weeks is too long and would like to be able to get the path into shape.

They will dig up the tarmac on the public pathway.

They have an easy job now and I will see if I can get any money back!

17. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Tomorrows the big day. Finally the wait is over :)

Balfour Beatty will be doing the work.

18. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

You have had a quote that you don't like and have then been wasting the company's time moaning about the quote,so now you think you can change the name on the account and get it moved for free?
    Hahaha I very much doubt that scheme will work but if you are that desperate and have more time to waste you can try .

19. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

If you read the post you'll find thay the job is going ahead. I have always been happy to pay for this but £3500 is too much money which I can't afford.

20. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

If you read my post it's obvious that I have read the post. If you can't afford it then you can't get the job done. Simple.