Packers directly under engineered wood floorboards

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by BizLarker, Dec 5, 2019.

1. BizLarker

BizLarker New Member

Hello
    We’ve recently renovated with a builder and the new floorboards (laid over yellow tongue) have been packed in areas to try and level the floor.

From what I’ve read, plywood should have been laid to level any unevenness in the floor. This didn’t happen so they went under house and packed between joists and floor to try and bring level - which we are ok with. However, what they did do also is use packers directly under the boards as they were laying ... specifically under the joins in the boards. This has left noticeable ridges where the boards join that you can quite clearly feel underfoot.

We are really unhappy as we paid $$$$ for these boards and have a really bad finish.

We want them to rip up and replace, levelling properly. Do you agree that packers should not have been placed directly between yellow tongue and the boards? I don’t think we are being fussy but it’s always good to get an independent view on these things.

Thanks in advance for any input

2. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

There is nothing wrong in using packers, but the fact that the floor is uneven indicates that something is wrong.

3. BizLarker

BizLarker New Member

thank you, even directly under the floorboards they are laying rather than the joists?

On the whole (it’s not perfect) they have fixed the bigger level issues by packing from under the joists however putting these packers directly under the joins of the floorboards, as they initially did, has caused the ridges as the joins are at a higher point than the rest of the board.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  4. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Packers should never be used directly under flooring that is less than 22mm thick ... and even then, it's better to use them as low as possible, i.e. between the joists and the sub-floor. They create point loads which cause stresses in anything that is not robust enough to help spread the load.

5. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

6. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Not industry standard but just a lifetime of experience and intuition. Anything less doesn't seem robust enough to me to be able to spread the point loads represented by a stacker/spacer.