Washing machine waste - smelly clothes and cupboard

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Cocorita, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Cocorita

Cocorita Member

Hi all,

I been battling for 6 months now with smelly clothes wash-load issues.

I have a terrible smell coming from the washing machine cupboard and the whole flat is inundated by that smell when I hang the clothes to dry inside. It's a smell half washing liquid, half sewage. Very strong!

The washing machine is brand new, so is not a machine problem. I reckon the issue might be related to back flow, but I don't know how to check this. Here's the setting of the drain:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And always, after a wash, I have to clean exactly this type of lint, which I never had before, even using exactly the same washing machine model in another flat:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

How can I check if the issue is effectively back flow? Or maybe someone might know what else might be?

I'd really appreciate any help. I'm desperate!

2. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

How confident are you in dismantling the U-bend in the waste pipe to check for blockages?

Have you checked the filter at the bottom of the machine?

3. Cocorita

Cocorita Member

I've already did it. It was clean.

I also used a small spring unbloker to check if there was any blockage, and it didn't looked like it (mind, it was a quite short one).

I poured hot water (90 degrees) down the pipe with bicarbonate, to clean it up as well.

4. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Are most of your washes at 30/40°C? Have you run the machine cleaning cycle with Soda Crystals in the drum?

5. Cocorita

Cocorita Member

Yes. I tried almost everything already. Soda crystals, white vinegar, bicarbonate, washing machine cleaners (that was before I had the new washing machine. The old one was the same model and I bought this one 2 months ago), I usually wash at 40/50°C and also dry the clothes (it's a washer-dryer), I've run several cycles (and I mean SEVERAL) at 90°C as well.

I had this model before (2 of them) in other flats I was living in and never had any issues.

Cannot be anything IN the washing machine. Has to be the drain, but cannot find where's exactly the issue. For more information, this is a ground floor flat.

6. Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky Screwfix Select

Hi, remove the elbow at the top of the stand pipe and then connect the drain hose directly into the stand pipe allowing an air gap.
    Could be waste from another appliance back filling into the wasting machine.
    To clean your washing machine use a clothes bleach (net curtain whitener) in the detergent dispenser and the hottest possible wash.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  7. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

That would be my guess as well - the trap is getting sucked dry I reckon. Easy to check if there is any water in it. I've not seen a hose connected to a standpipe with an airtight seal before.

8. Cocorita

Cocorita Member

I fitted the elbow at the top a short time ago to see if there was any improvement to the cupboard smell. It was open before.
    There is no other appliance (I don't have dishwasher or anything, and the washing machine is well away from the kitchen sink, bathroom, etc)
    The machine doesn't need any cleaning, is brand new. Also, I cleaned the old one with EVERYTHING I had (yes, bleach too) at very high temperature.

9. Cocorita

Cocorita Member

The smell issue was happening before connecting this, and it was suggested by a plumber. :(

10. Cocorita

Cocorita Member

There is water in the U bend. Just removed teh seal on top:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Is there carpet under the machine? Is there any sign of damp on the floor? The drain pipework may be leaking under the floor.

12. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Should the the waste pipe be sealed? Ours has boiler condensing waste and washing machine waste ( at front) going down to trap then out and we have no smell. Never seen a sealed washing machine waste before. Top of our pipe is open IMG_20191214_212056_compress8.jpg

13. Cocorita

Cocorita Member

Yes (no clue who was the genius that choose to put carpet under a washing machine), but there is no damp at all. Also, the clothes come out smelling bad, so the smell is not only in the cupboard.
    This is a huge mistery. I'm fairly handy and I been able to fix a lot of house issues in the past, but this one is driving me nuts, and it has been for 6 months now.

For more information: Is not that I'm usign a lot of soap. I use very small amounts. I tried changing the soap brand, I tried doing a wash only with white vinegar and soap nuts (that smell like vinegar themselves), I tried washing with no soap at all, and still that horrible smell happens, every single time.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  14. Cocorita

Cocorita Member

I fitted that seal in the waste pipe as suggested by a plumber that came to do another job, but it was open before, and the smell was happening the same.

15. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Have you cleaned out the filter at the bottom of the machine?

16. Cocorita

Cocorita Member

yes for the old one, and this is a new one.

17. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Cocorita and Teki like this.
  18. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

May very well be a faulty washing machine?

Have you tried running a wash but with the hose going into a bucket?(keep emtying) If it still smells then that would rule out the drain meaning you have an issue with the machine.

I-Man, Cocorita and Wayners like this.
  19. Cocorita

Cocorita Member

I tried several soaps, no luck. Alsdo, this is a new machine, and the old one had exactly the same issue. Is not a machine issue. Is in the plumbing.

20. Cocorita

Cocorita Member

The smell was happening with another washing machine before this one. It has to be the drainage.