Washing machine waste - smelly clothes and cupboard

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Cocorita, Dec 14, 2019.

1. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

As a rental property, is there any responsibility on the landlord / managing agent to sort out any such building issues

You seem to have ruled out an issue with the machine (I think ?) so more likely a plumbing / pipe run issue

Know that rental terms vary but what’s stated in your contract regarding building maintenance

2. Cocorita

Cocorita Member

The problem is that the landlord won't do much, and the plumber the landlord sent, said that "is soap smell, there's not much I can do" and left.
    So I can only try to rule out everything I can before having to start a major battle againt my landlord to have this fixed.

3. dray

dray Screwfix Select

Going back to the bucket test that seems to be fine although the first bucket full was dirty you said, this does indicate to me that the last rinse (with the pipe in the waste) was not completed properly as the water left in the machine should have been clean ready for next use.
    I would redo the bucket test and time how long it empties into the bucket, then put the pipe back into the waste and time it using exactly the same programme to compare. I think it will be slower and if it is, then it appears that the water is not getting away quickly enough and causing the back pressure sensor to operate preventing the full rinse cycle. (You did say this was a new machine so unlikely that the pump is defective unless it is secondhand but new to you of course)
    After doing this, I would take the trap of the waste pipe and if possible push a hose pipe into the pipe that goes into the floor, this might clear any blockage without water on but if possible rag over the end and flush it through.
    Hope this helps

4. Cocorita

Cocorita Member

Thta's a great Idea indeed! Thank you! I'll try this one today.

5. DIY0001

DIY0001 Active Member

The flexible waste pipe from the washing machine in that first photo looks like its going a bit high before it gets to the drain pipe. So my guess is that the pump isn't getting rid of all the water when it empties, resulting in water that goes stagnant in the machine. Your "bucket test" tends to confirm that too.

There are usually minimum and maximum heights for the flexible pipe specified in the installation manual, but I've always tended to err towards the minimum to avoid this issue.

The pump will only run until it gets rid of the water at the pump level (it can't pump air) and then any remaining water in the flexible pipe will flow back down into the machine sump when the pump stops. If the flexible pipe is too high at any point (higher than the top of the machine) then more water remains in the pipe when the pump stops than the machine is designed to handle, so the sump overflows - water left inside the machine that goes stagnant (and will also result in premature corrosion of the washing machine).

I'd lower the flexible pipe so that the highest point is no higher than the top of the machine itself, then run the machine a few times on rinse cycle to clear it out completely and see if that stops it.

Teki and Cocorita like this.
  6. Cocorita

Cocorita Member

I checked and it's at the right height as per the manual, but I'll try putting it a bit lower just in case. Cheers!

7. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

I've recently had issues with washing smelling odd. Reading up found that today's low temperature washes can be the cause. Did a 95 degree wash and smell went away.

8. Cocorita

Cocorita Member

I've did high temp and cleaning cycles and the smell is not going anywhere, sadly :(

9. Jez Brown

Jez Brown Member

Is there any possibility that the waste pipe is leaking where it can't be seen

10. Cocorita

Cocorita Member

It could be. But I have no way to know this, and my landlord won't move a finger :(

11. Jez Brown

Jez Brown Member

If there is a possibility of the waste leaking into the property then I would treat it as a health issue. On a separate not I find the attitude of some landlords appalling, they not only have a duty of care to you as a tenant but we should all also have a duty of care to their fellow man, horrible people. If you live in the Stafford area I am a local plumber, I can come and have a quick look and advise you, FOC, its gone quite now and good will to others etc.01785 247743

12. Cocorita

Cocorita Member

Aw Jez thank you so so much for your offer. But I'm not even close.

Truth to be told, The landlord did a few things ok and the plumber that came around to do other job said that he was able to smell soap but nothing else, so I reckon is not about the landlord being horrible, but just ignoring me because the plumber dismissed it.

Jez Brown likes this.
  13. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Assuming the machine is not faulty,maybe consider getting your own plumber in to do an assessment of the drainage system. Give the plumber all the information before they visit and be prepared to run the machine when the plumber asks you .

Find a plumber.You can text your requirements directly to the plumber so they have a chance to have a think before their visit.

Cocorita likes this.
  14. wainfleet

wainfleet New Member

The trouble with some landlords is they look at the present and their current income from the property ad not at a pending issue that would be better sorted out before things (either the issue or the relationship with their tenant, gets worse). So you said h had sorted some problems OK - and his balance sheet shows a loss for a month or two - so the next step is to get a mate to call round (probably a friendly cowboy) just to keep you quite and show he is doing something if you escalate the issue. As it is a flat? I assume you don;t hve a long hose - if you have I wonder if it would be worth shoving a length down the waste pipe so it goes well out of your property - use that for a few days and see if there is any difference. The theory is that if it is a broke waste then the water might miss the break.
    This is a great thread - such a variety of ideas and such helpful people.

Cocorita likes this.
  15. wainfleet

wainfleet New Member

Following on from Jez's kind offer - how about putting the first part of your postcode here and see if any local viewers are able to help.

Jez Brown and Cocorita like this.
  16. Cocorita

Cocorita Member

I'm In Edinburgh south :D

17. Cocorita

Cocorita Member

Yes! I love to see so many people trying to "debug the washing machine". It's awesome.

18. Gazowl1975

Gazowl1975 Member

Doesn't look like it has a trap that arrangement to me maybe it's that

19. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Can see the trap in the very 1st picture of the opening post Gaz

Cocorita likes this.
  20. Gazowl1975

Gazowl1975 Member

Oh yeah not got me glasses on lol