Slow leakage of isolation valve joint

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by wood, Dec 17, 2019.

1. wood

wood Member

The isolation valve of my kitchen developed leakage last week. I got the isolation valve replaced yesterday. All looked fine when my plumber was here, however I tried it this morning putting my finger around the joint and felt some water. It's not dramatically leak at all and I am sure it's not caused by condensation as all the other parts are dry. Any idea what has caused it?

2. wood

wood Member

3. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

Probably just needs nipping up one eigth of a turn

4. wood

wood Member

Could it be caused by the corroded pipe not being thoroughly cleaned before the isolation valve was put on? The leak is very slow indeed.

5. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

If the pipe is not smooth its possible the olive is not fully seated against the pipe.

6. wood

wood Member

Any advice how the pipe should be cleaned? Thanks.

I'll get my plumber back but it may be difficult to explain as the slow is so slow.

7. jackelliott07

jackelliott07 Active Member

Could be caused by a lot of things - try nipping it slightly and it will probably be fine. If not, loosen and wrap some PTFE around it, then re-tighten.

Alternatively, call your plumber back and let him fix it, you paid him afterall

Heat likes this.
  8. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Yes you could try nipping it up - best to isolate the water upstream and turn the tap on to reduce the pressure first though.

Rather than PTFE tape, I prefer to use jointing compound, but why not ask the original pluimber to come back and fix it.

Heat and nigel willson like this.
  9. wood

wood Member

Will do. I was trying to understand what had caused the issue. The leak is only present after a couple of hours, I'm afraid my plumber would claim it's not an issue at all. How can I make sure the repair is efficient for another try?

Cheers

10. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Could be a number of things. I had a 22mm compression fitting that was very stubborn to seal, it wasn't aligned perfectly but jointing compound sorted it. The fitting is either water tight or its not, these things can happen. If the plumber isn't interested in returning its a reflection on his lack of care so don't use him again. Alternatively he might be only too quick to come back and sort this out - then you know he's a keeper.

11. wood

wood Member

The plumber (appointed by my insurance cover) did come back trying to resolve the issue. Tried a few time without luck. He even redid the whole pipe grid with fit-push joints under my kitchen sink -- still failed. I felt sorry for him as I can see his frustration. He finally removed the isolation valve with a push-fit joint. Oh dear what a mess. Can I live with those push-fit joints? Should I make a case to my service provider?

IMG-20191217-WA0001.jpg

12. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

They look like JG Speedfit connectors, top notch, should be fine. Arguably better than traditional compression fittings.

13. jackelliott07

jackelliott07 Active Member

If it works whats the issue?

14. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Do you still have an isolation valve on the cold supply ?
    Can't see in the photo

15. wood

wood Member

Well, the plumber could not seal the isolation valve properly after 2-4 tries. He gave it up and replaced the valve with a push-fit joint, as you can see from the picture (the horizontal joint at the back).

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  16. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

So no leak that’s good but also no iso valve

Not essential as I guess you have your main cold water stopcock accessible in that area ?

Just that you loose cold water supply to the whole house of you need to isolate kitchen tap or washing machine/dishwasher

As plumber has gone push fit route, he could have fitted one of these but guess didn't have on the van

https://www.screwfix.com/p/jg-speedfit-15svp-isolating-valve-15mm/12372

17. wood

wood Member

Thanks Dave,

Yes, the stopcock of my house is reasonably accessible. I can live with them as long as it's not a dirty quick fix. He did try very hard for the repair and spent a couple of hours for it tbh. Just bad luck? :)

18. wood

wood Member

Thanks to all.

I still feel some moisture around one compression joint (to my outside tap). The others with push-fit are bone dry. I cannot really tell it's caused by condensation or tiny sweeping. Should I be worried?

Attached Files:

19. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

The compression joint is weeping ,that's not condensation .

20. wood

wood Member

That's what I guessed. Should I be worried for this tiny weeping? Is it worth to get the guy or someone else in the firm to come back for it?