New to joinery

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by C0N1ST0N, Dec 27, 2019.

1. C0N1ST0N

C0N1ST0N New Member

Hi all,

I'm a young lad, self taught and finding my way with joinery/woodworking as a whole.

My questions is, where do you draw the line with pocket screws? What things would you build them with and where do you draw the line?

What other methods do you use?

I like the idea of building things traditionally however it takes a lot more time yet I feel like I'm cheating, or doing something wrong!

Elaborate as much as you can, I want to hear all opinions and advice from experienced woodworkers.

Thanks,
    Josh

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I thought you were a craftsman as opposed to a young lad?

3. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

I do a lot of joinery, using handtool methods... for some things it does take longer... but I'm not doing it for a living.

I'm really intrigued that you think using tradition methods might be "cheating", or "doing something wrong"???!!!
    I have I understood that the wrong way round?

Regards,

Cando

4. C0N1ST0N

C0N1ST0N New Member

Well yes I am both, why would that be as opposed to? I run a business building bespoke furniture and decor from reclaimed materials and I do have experience, I'm just explaining that I'm not a seasoned woodworker and I'm still learning...

5. C0N1ST0N

C0N1ST0N New Member

Sorry that wasnt out across properly!
    What I meant was, I would like to use traditional joinery methods for certain items I make, but for larger or more time consuming jobs pocket holes would be easier and quicker, however using that method makes me feel like I'm "cheating".

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

It’s not two descriptions that normally go together hence why I asked.

In answer, it depends on what image and specification you’re selling to customers that will determine if you’re “cheating” or not, I.e. if you tell them you’ve stub mortised and tenoned a frame together and used cascamite to glue it when in fact you’ve used biscuits and PVA then that in my opinion is being dishonest as the customer is expecting a traditional construction using hand tools, whilst you’ve charged them the same under the guise of building using solely hand tools and classic methods though using power tools and modern jointing techniques.

However, in the modern world where everyone wants Marks and Spencer quality for Lidl’s prices or indeed for free and unless you’ve built up a customer base where money and time are no object for them you’ll starve by building bespoke items in the traditional manner without input from today’s technology.

Ditch the Kreg or whichever pocket hole jig you use and either buy a decent biscuit jointer such as Dewalts model or if top end a Lamello, or take out an investment and get yourself a Festool Domino Jointer. They will revolutionise your production and finish.

7. C0N1ST0N

C0N1ST0N New Member

Thanks for your reply,
    I'm 25 years old and class myself as a craftsman as I build all kinds of things in my workshop. I weld, build things out of reclaimed materials etc and upcycle, you get the picture...but that's the gist of what I meant.

I completely agree with you, in our modern world people expect everything for nothing, and on demand too. That's why I favour the pocket screw method for some applications but I know not all would be appropriate. If I had £500+ hanging around I'd love a domino joiner (it's on my wishlist!). As for biscuits I'm not convinced on them personally however I value your opinion and I know they have their uses...I'm just curious as to what other people think on the matter.
    Thanks!

8. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

+1 for domino, and I'd go for the bigger one. Really comes in to its own for larger framing like doors and windows. Can still do down to I think 8mm (smallest I have is 10mm). However, cheap it ain't.