Scaffolding for roof repairs - what’s fair?

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Mancone, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Mancone

Mancone Member

I need a few roof tiles replacing, ridge tiles patch repairs and chimney removing or fixing.

I’ve had a roofer come out and he was a little bit sketchy about scaffolding.

I don’t want to get ripped of or appear to not know anything. I also think people should work in a safe way.

Can anyone give me information on costs and what can:can’t be done? I live in a semi with access on the side.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Scaffolding/access tower safest way,gives you a area to work from,especially or removing chimney,but I've seen peeps working off ladders removing them.:eek:

There are a few jobs you can do off ladder,if it' safely secure, like clean gutter,replace odd tile.

Always put safety first & not the cost.

Mancone likes this.
  3. Mancone

Mancone Member

Ok. To do the ridge patch roof repair, would it need scaffolding?

You have to be real basic with me as I don’t know anything/I’m a bit dumb.

Do I have to pay hundreds to get the scaffolding? Anyway I can cut costs, get it direct?

4. Mancone

Mancone Member

5. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

I have aluminium (decorators) scaffolding for that sort of thing ... strong enough and tall enough for roof repairs or painting dormers, but not strong enough for a pallet of tiles or bricks to be stored on.
    If the tiles are strong enough to walk on and there are not that many requiring replacement, I would use my climbing harness with fall arresters, and tying myself to my climbing rope which is securely attached to something on the other side of the ridge. That's all very well for me, but I doubt that too many professionals would risk their lives or their livelihoods by working without very safe scaffolding ... nor should anyone expect them to.

Mancone likes this.
  6. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Most professionals would want to see a scafftag (which is a tag issued by the erector of the scaffolding that makes them responsible for the safety of the scaffolding). If you hire the scaffolding, then who is going to erect it? With all due respect, you don't appear to know whether scaffolding is secure or not, and no self-respecting roofer would or should be willing to work on scaffolding erected by someone unqualified in scaffolding erection.
    I recently paid £350 for the services of a scaffolding company to erect and certify 13m of single storey scaffolding so that I could erect the new roof on my garage to granny-flat conversion. The quotes I received ranged from £350 to £1200, so quite a wide range. The service I bought came with a scafftag, which put all the responsibility for the erection on the scaffolder.

Mancone likes this.
  7. Mancone

Mancone Member

ah right, so it’s an outside company that provide the scaffolding? Would it be worth me getting them to erect scaffolding on behalf of the roofers?

8. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Yes. Explain to the scaffolders clearly and concisely exactly what is needed and what work the roofers will be doing and they should erect something to suit. Or, if you’ve found a roofer you like/trust, ask them who they recommend for scaffold and go from there. Where in the country are you?

9. Mancone

Mancone Member

Manchester.

10. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Miles away from me so no idea about decent scaffolders.

Mancone likes this.
  11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I always give the customer the name of two or three scaffold company's and get them to sort it as then I don't have to lay out the cost myself....simple, for what you require if chimney to be removed would be in the region of £300 - £500 depending on access to site etc.........what price do you put on safety, as a customer you are equally responsible in law for the safe working of contractors at your property.

Mancone likes this.
  12. Mancone

Mancone Member

He quoted me “four and a half”. I don’t know if he meant k or hundreds lol

13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You need to clarify that, you may get a better deal with direct contact with the scaffold company.

Mancone likes this.
  14. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Although if you take on the responsibility of providing the scaffolding for the roofer you will, along with the scaffolding company, take on the responsibility for it being fit for purpose. Leave it to the roofer to sort and you as a layman have no responsibility for the scaffolding and the associated safe working of the contractor at your property.

Mancone and rogerk101 like this.
  15. Mancone

Mancone Member

Why would I have responsibility?

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I've never had a problem, I do specify what I require re access, height etc.

Mancone likes this.
  17. Mancone

Mancone Member

Yeah why would it be your fault if they fell? The scaffolders are putting up the scaffolding.

18. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

You need to get another roofer in this guy sounds like a chancer.

Mancone likes this.
  19. Mancone

Mancone Member

Welcome to my life! I’m single, no mates and no one to help lol

20. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

How does that have any relevance to getting another roofer in to quote?