Scaffolding for roof repairs - what’s fair?

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Mancone, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Sounds like the average person then. :D

wiggy and Mancone like this.
  2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Obviously a very shy person who doesn't trust anyone.

3. Mancone

Mancone Member

It doesn’t. I have a guy coming when I take time of work. I just don’t want to be ripped of, hence why I’ve come asking for advice.

it’s also my first home

wiggy likes this.
  4. Mancone

Mancone Member

No I just relocated. I do trust people but not people who seem a bit fishy.

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Take my Human Pshchology exam next month.:)

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I knew a woman like that once. :eek:

7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Start going to a good local pub. Most trades frequent some form of watering hole from the hours of 4pm to 6pm, it’s more natural a habitat than a damp grim building site and once familiar you’ll hopefully learn who’s a decent human being and good at their job and may feel more comfortable asking their advice or even employing one or two. It’s a more reliable way than checkatrade or rated people nonsense, and you get to meet people whilst drinking.

Mancone likes this.
  8. Mancone

Mancone Member

I’m female, sound a bit posh as I’m from the south, big chest, you sure that’s going to work?

Astramax likes this.
  9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

My girlfriend also has a big chest that's why I call her 'Treasure'. :D

10. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

How far south? I know roofers Surrey way.

11. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Perfectly. Provided you can handle banter and give as good as you get. And if it’s a cack environment, just find another pub. There’s a solution to every problem, hic.

Mancone likes this.
  12. Mancone

Mancone Member

im
    I’m Manchester, not from south of Manchester :)

13. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Simple, imagine you wanted someone to go up and clean your gutters and you put up a ladder and said use that, he's halfway up and it breaks in two and he breaks his back, who do you think he is going to sue? Similarly you (or someone on your behalf) puts up some scaffolding and you say use that, it collapses whilst he is using it ( through no fault of his own i.e. overloading) who do you think he is going to sue, having said that you will be trying to pass responsibility onto your scaffolders, but your roofers contract is with you so he'll be after you. Things are never black and white and it would more than likely go to litigation with your house insurers (assuming you have some) the scaffolders insurers (assuming they have some) and the roofers lawyers all getting involved re responsibility (in total or part), what is reasonable on all parties and ultimately who is to blame or allocation of the share of blame, obviously the actual terms of the contracts, written/verbal/implied, would be taken into account in ascertaining the outcome.Simple innit

14. Mancone

Mancone Member

Scaffolding has tags, therefore the scaffolding company erected the scaffolding in accordance with local regulations.

If the scaffolding wasn’t put up right, it’s down to the scaffolding company.

If the scaffolding was put up right, it’s down to the workman/his boss and their appropriate risk assessments and claim on their insurance.

Just because you have a ‘contract’ with some doesn’t mean you are liable for their injuries.

Astramax likes this.
  15. Mancone

Mancone Member

I forgot to say that this was assuming I didn’t have buildings insurance, which I do.

The solicitor for the person injured (or company) would go after whoever had money and most liable.

My insurance company would then probably say what I wrote above.

16. Severntrent

You have nothing to worry about then if they do it in accordance with local regulations (no doubt Manchester and Surrey have different ones), you have checked the tags and that they are a reputable company, go forth and get your quotes and cut those costs.

Mancone likes this.
  17. Mancone

Mancone Member

I feel that the uk is all about “health and safety” and never about common sense, insurance and taking responsibility.

18. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Don't worry.....No win No fee!

19. Mancone

Mancone Member

No I meant just generally. I asked for a kettle at work and I was told “health and safety”. We can get hot water from the canteen and there are stairs in the building, it’s a cop out.

20. Severntrent

No problem as long as the stairs have a hand rail and you only carry one cup at a time or you have a multiple cup holder tray.