Converting LED MR16 to LED GU10 - Worth it?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by a.murphy, Jan 2, 2020.

1. a.murphy

a.murphy New Member

This may be a simple answer, may not.
    Is it worth me converting my LED MR16 lights to GU10?

I ask because everytime I have gone to buy MR16 bulbs, there are none in-store yet huge stocks of GU10's. Even when I look at the shelves across the split of, the majority (I would say circa 90%) are GU10's.

From what I've read, but happy to be correct, is that there is no savings benefit regarding power drawn switching.
    When comparing price of bulbs however GU10's do seem cheaper than MR16's, but with the longer lifetime on both, is it worth me switching to GU10's?

2. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

I assume you are referring to GU5.3 MR16 lamps?

They tend to run at 12v rather than 230v and require external voltage conversion. Typically, the external SMPS or transformer will be more efficient that teh dropper circuit in a GU10 that saving power - only a small amount but add lots of small bits together ...

Secondly, GU10s have narrow beam width often down at 30, 35 or 36 degree whereas a GU5.3/MR16 is a lot wider at 60 degrees giving a much better light distribution.

SF stock Enlight 5W version alongside their own LAP ...

3. a.murphy

a.murphy New Member

I did see SF stock both and like on SF and other sites, GU10 are cheaper. If there are no benefits, happy days. Wanted to get more professional opinions.

4. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I have 4 x G5.3 MR16 compatible lights in my bathroom all LED around 4 watt each and I see no reason to change them, there are in pods so aimed as areas I want lighting, and the pods are not really suitable for low voltage (230 vac) so using the extra low voltage (12 vac) units.

To swap the toroidal transformer and all wiring from it would need replacing as there is no earth wire on the SELV supply and the cables are bit on the thick side, so in essence I would be starting from scratch.

However in all other rooms with MR16 compatible lights I am using GU10, as so much cheaper to install, the toroidal transformers at 200 VA cost around £50 so cost means when fitted GU10 was better option, OK today does not need a 200 VA lump, but still it needs mounting some where, which has to be accessible, so it does not make sense today to fit 12 volt (extra low voltage) where 230 volt (low voltage) is permitted.

In the main people change to GU10 because they are not using a toroidal transformer, but are using an electronic power supply and matching an electronic power supply to 12 volt LED lamps is not easy, all my G5.3 are clearly marked 50 Hz and most are, so if using an electronic transformer it needs changing for a toroidal transformer and even a 50 VA costs £19 if you can find one, Screwfix don't sell them last time I looked, [​IMG] and you have to mount them some where, diameter is 63 mm, will that fit through the hole made for lights? it may fit, but not sure, I personally would not want to take the chance.

However my G5.3 bulbs have never blown, and I have two spare toroidal transformers, so even if one bulb blows, loads of time to find a replacement, so likely will never be replaced, don't really know why I ever fitted them?

It is rare to find any LED MR16 bulbs, the R refers to reflector, and most LED bulbs don't have a multifaceted reflector so would be just 16 bulbs! So they can only be called MR16 compatible, and the MR16 does not refer to the base or voltage, so you can get SES (E14) MR16 bulbs, really since not bulbous should not call it a bulb, however lamp refers to whole unit, fitting refers to whole unit, Luminaire refers to whole unit, so we tend to call it bulb or tube even when not really correct word, and tend to call 12 volt spot lights MR16 and 230 volt GU10, why I have not a clue, but you can get G5.3 as 230 volt, not very common, but they are made, and also there are some specials 10 - 30 volt DC which will not work with a toroidal transformer. So with rental property maybe GU10 is better option as less likely to fit wrong bulbs?

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Change the fittings, a lot less hassle.

6. Philip Hyde

Philip Hyde Screwfix Select

I tend to use Osram Lamps They do a massive amount of different beam angles. They go from 19 degrees to all the way up to 120 degrees

7. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Definitely worth changing over to GU10 led's I say.

Philip Hyde likes this.
  8. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

@Andy sparky

I have read that several times already today.

It must be Groundhog Day.

9. takefour

takefour New Member

GU10s have narrow beam width often down at 30, 35 or 36 degree whereas a GU5. 3/MR16 is a lot wider at 60 degrees giving a much better light distribution. SF stock Enlight 5W version alongside their own LAP ... I did see SF stock both and like on SF and other sites, GU10 are cheaper.

10. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

2 Jan 2020, 15 April 2021, now 30 Nov 2021 that is some time for same subject, but MR16 means multi faceted reflector 16/8th of an inch across so covers both G5.3 and GU10 non of which defines a voltage.

This is the problem when concerting from 12 to 230 volt, the rule has been there since 1966.

Also of course once you move from quartz tungsten to LED the multi faceted reflector also in the main goes, so in real terms we can't get MR16 lamps any more.