Rotary laser level

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Adam Shackleton, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Adam Shackleton

Adam Shackleton New Member

hi all. I've not long gone self employed after 27yrs employed .....now my old firm had a topcon rotary level with staff etc for levelling footings, patios, walls etc etc ....I'm fast thinking I am going to need one myself but 700-1000 quid for a topcon is way out of my budget ....and I mean wayyyy out .....now.....what do people recommend as a cheaper option? I know screwfix do the Bosch one but that's 500 quid so again ....to expensive......eBay do full kits for like £180 but does anyone have any experience of them and if they are actually any good for that money? Thanks

2. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Sadly if you are looking at using it primarily outside then you are looking at £500, the cheaper ones are fine for indoors but outside hopeless. The Dewalt one at Screwfix for £470 is okay.

David Hatim likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Broke my Bosch laser level other week,been looking at a replacement level,like the Imex LX22G, it's a green cross line laser level,better than a red line laser,& a sensible price.
    Was mooching around the canal New Year eve, & a oik was taking photo's with camera on tripod & this rotating gadget, got me thinking whether I could marry the two together laser level & the rotator,would give me a cheap rotating level.:)

https://www.protrade.co.uk/product/imex-lx22g-cross-line-green-beam-laser-level/

There several different rotating mounts around, most will support 2kg.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TurnsPro-Panning-Rotating-Motorised-panoramic/dp/B015IZUKOM

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/seven...MI3YbCxYfl5gIVS7TtCh1GdAu8EAQYASABEgI39fD_BwE

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  4. Adam Shackleton

Are we all on the same page?? I'm talking a rotary level that beams to a sensor on the staff to give levels for footings ....patio heights etc etc .....not one that that just beams green or red lines onto walls or along the ground

5. Adam Shackleton

£470 only buys the main machine .....no staff or line laser detector ....add this and your into topcon prices

6. Adam Shackleton

This sort of thing but cheaper .......

Attached Files:

7. Adam Shackleton

This is the cheap cheap cheap eBay one .....looks the business but anyone have any experience with these cheap ones?

Attached Files:

8. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

why buy substandard when you have used the best you only buy once so buy the best false ecommony to buy cheap all tax deductable

Jitender likes this.
  9. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

There was a guy who used to post on here called Alvy Chippy. I seem to recall that he did a bit of a review of cheap lasers and I think he covered rotary lasers as well. I might be mistaken of course and if you do find it (search is your friend), be advised that English wasn't Alvy's first language so not always easy to follow...

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Was going to say something like this, if you're used to a system then may as well go for what you're familiar with.

11. Adam Shackleton

I'd love to buy a topcon .....don't have the money though so not an option ....don't even have a van yet .....skoda with a trailer has to do for now .....maybe tool hire one for now as and when I need it 27 yrs employed so there's lots and lots and lots and lots of things I need to get as a self employed ☹️

12. ginger tuffs

hire when required then save having it lying around get knoched

Adam Shackleton likes this.
  13. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

As others have said, why buy some cheap rubbish when starting out on being self employed ? With all trades there are certain tools that you absolutely need the best. As a kitchen fitter, i need the best router, the best chop saw and the best track saw. All of them together cost more than a rotary level. Considering that you are going to earn your living from it, my advice would be don't cheap out at the start.

KIAB and ginger tuffs like this.
  14. Adam Shackleton

Because I don't have £1000 for a topcon .....don't even have a van yet lol .....27 yrs employed .....I've got a lot of self employed kit to get .....maybe just hire as and when I need for now

15. Adam Shackleton

If you don't have the money to buy top of the range .......you can't straight away unfortunately.....I don't have a van or mixer yet either ....27 yrs employed I had the basics and used my car ....but no big stuff as it was not my duty to buy ......will have to hire for the time being for the expensive stuff

16. ginger tuffs

with what you are saying you should not be going self employed as you dont have money to fall back on when you have no work

17. Adam Shackleton

Hey!!! Everyone's gotta start somewhere .....I don't have money behind me because of the rubbish wages and a lack of pay rise for ten years .....hence going self employed .....my customers are all millionaire customers and I have six months of work lined up so far .....if everyone had your defeatist attitude ....nobody would get anywhere in life!!! Speculate to accumulate!!!! I only asked if the cheap laser levels where any good .....not if I should or shouldn't be self employed .....

18. Adam Shackleton

Oh......and I do have some money to fall back on ....but won't if a go blowing it all on top end kit immediately.....

19. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

I just reread this thread and I apologise in advance, but kids these days, a laser level for footings and patios !! I still use a bubble and if it needs to be spot on I put my glasses on :)

Jord86 likes this.
  20. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

:):):)