Plasterer scraped artex ceiling AFTER being told it had asbestos

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by JaneDonut, Jan 6, 2020.

1. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Some worthy to be culled!

2. PhilSo

PhilSo Screwfix Select

Sodium.
    I miss them all

PhilSo (sad)

:cool:

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

They probably will take some form of action to make an example.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Take it on the chin it's only banter, welcome to the forum!:)

5. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

We're only talking about white asbestos here Kools - not the result of one of your curries - that's assbestos

Astramax likes this.
  6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Had a dinosaur curry last week called a Megasorearse.

7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

There’s still not been an answer as to why if there was that much worry over the asbestos content did they not overboard the existing ceiling? I can imagine off the back of this thread the droves of plasterers lining up outside the OP’s house ready to quote for the next overskim job, based on she’s now notified the council and is prepared to sacrifice the previous plasterer to the black crows.

Surprisingly, little comment on how good his work was, no news must be good news.

8. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

That’s notifiable non licensed work though, scraping a ceiling is allowed by a non licensed contractor as far as I read it, otherwise no plasterer in the country would be allowed to overskim.

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I know of 2 unfortunate men who have died from an asbestos related illness, one was a pipe lagger at a power station and the other a mechanic who worked on car breaking systems as a young man, one guy was in his early 40s the other in his late 70s.

10. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Which is saddening and no debate, though asbestos pipe laggers were not renowned for having the safest vocation, and anyone that is lucky enough to live to their late 70’s is unfortunately open season for the grim reaper by then regardless of their previous job. That sounds quite callous but it’s not meant as such, just that the ratio of asbestos related deaths to operatives that have come into contact with is thankfully minuscule in the overall picture.

stevie22 likes this.
  11. JaneDonut

JaneDonut New Member

Good, as I put the plasterer's details in, not mine.

12. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

glad you notified but as you employed someone to deal with a known area of asbestos and failed to provide suitable protective equipment and guidance then I think the HSE will hold you responsible. Equally if the plasterer does subsequently fall Ill they may claim from you.

Further issues with HSE will arise from the use of the vacuum cleaner to clean the room.

13. JaneDonut

JaneDonut New Member

Nope, by law, the onus is on the person who conducted the work, not the owner of the property. Instead, we can sue the plasterer who exposed us to asbestos after we told him there was asbestos in the artex and he still went ahead and damaged it.

14. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

It is you who in this case is the employer carrying out the work instructing the employee who is the plasterer who is responsible. Clearly with full knowledge instructing someone to work with asbestos failing to provide suitable protection and instruction and seeking to notify after the event.

seems to me that was an attempt to cover up asbestos artic on the cheap rather than remove it properly with a registered contractor and it’s now gone a little wrong!!

Jord86 likes this.
  15. JaneDonut

JaneDonut New Member

Hmm you really should read up on the law on this. We are not the employer; we are the client. The law states he is the culpable party. I have it in writing that I emailed him saying we have tested the artex and it has asbestos, that we do not want it to be ground down, we want it to be safely encapsulated. It is not up to us to provide safety equipment - again, please read into the law on this. Asbestos professionals will tell you themselves it is safer to encapsulate rather than remove artex.

16. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Time for a lawyer,good luck with your claim.

Since the acm was disturbed,apart from posting here What else have you done ? its important for the lawyer to know :D

Been involved with acm's for many years and licensed to deal with it :cool:

17. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

That’s my point. Failure to employ licensed contractor... further failure to ensure appropriate cleaning after ACM disturbed.. I think the position is clear

18. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Of course it was, they most likely balked at any extra cost and went for the cheapest option and are now whingeing about the result and claiming ignorance that they were unaware what skimming over artex would require. If they’re that methodical to test and investigate the artex, the laws surrounding asbestos and to know about “safely encapsulating not grinding down the artex”, don’t for one minute claim that they didn’t realise what possible scenario they were entering.

19. JaneDonut

JaneDonut New Member

You do not need a licensed asbestos worker when you don't damage artex. We specifically told him not to damage it.

20. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Storms in teacups?

Jord86 and furious_customer like this.