Retraining as a joiner / carpenter

Discussion in 'Job Talk' started by ConnorM, Jan 8, 2020.

1. ConnorM

ConnorM Member

Hey guys,

I’ve been thinking of retraining as a joiner / carpenter after admiring it from afar and doing some joinery work in my house renovation

I’ve been looking into it and slightly gutted the only way I’ll go about getting any experience / a job is a few years as an apprentice after doing level 1 / 2 city and guilds. I’ve got a mortgage and no hope of paying that on a £3.90 p/h appreciate wage! I do however appreciate you’ve gotta put the graft in

Just wanted your opinions if 27 is too old to retrain (is it a trade you have to learn from school?) and if there are any other routes into employment without the prospect of having to move back in with my parents!

Thanks in advance

2. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Got to ask the obvious..................................who around your neck of any woods pays £3.90 p/h and how do they get away with advertising that as a wage ?

3. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

I think apprenticeships are for the kids really and tbh two of the worst carpenters I ever took on where nvq level 3, all college will do is give you a bit of paper. To get skills you need to do the job. The best carpenter i ever had had never been to college, so i wouldn't get caught up in that side of things unless you want to work building sites at some point in your future. Sign yourself up to a couple of carpentry courses, work for friends and family in your spare time, run a local add as a handyman and only take on what you know you can do and build up your confidence while you have a job.
    I went back to college in my late 30s but as i was already working in the trade it was a waste of my time really, the tutor used to get me cutting everyones timber etc, in the end I just walked off the course and I have had my own firm for 15 years or so taking on other chippies and dealing with some pretty big projects over the years.
    If your in any doubt about your skills or knowledge just get on google or you tube and practise.
    What area of carpentry do you want to get in to? Do you want to be employed or self employed?

4. ConnorM

ConnorM Member

It's ridiculous right? I've seen a couple adverts for apprentices looking to get into the trade for that type of wage - usually specify school leavers so might get away with it

I've been looking at the course details and you're completely right - everything they teach is either things my dad has shown me how to do as a DIYer or things you could pick up from youtube and books. That being said - I do like the idea of working on new builds, building houses, roofs, first and second fix type stuff caught my eye so don't know if the piece of paper would be worth it or not...could just as easily brush up on regs in my own time. But that being said the kinds of things I've being doing in my own house are things like floating floors, stud walls inside single brick walls etc. Not very interested in the fine woodwork type stuff like chairs, beds...whatever else! In terms of employment I'm not too fussed at the moment - i have experience of being both employed and self employed in my current industry, don't mind either

Thanks for your insight - I appreciate it!

5. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Long story why I changed but it was a flip up between sparky and chip, went with the chipy. Signed up on a 6 week so called carpentry course to just see if i had it or not, really enjoyed it, picked up a lot of hand tool skills, got a job for a decking company, could not have asked for a better start tbh, then signed up big college, did the institute of carpenters first year, which is your entry level. Signed up for year two nvq level2, walked out half way through, by this time I was running my own thing and didn't have the patience for it (college) over ££££££.

6. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

If you do it go for the bit of paper, (even though it means ****)

7. ConnorM

ConnorM Member

I've just been checking out the competition in my area and they all seem to say level 2 nvq or 40 years experience :eek: I like the idea of building a portfolio of work on the side while I've got the office job (and able to pay for the course!) though - that could work nicely

8. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Portfolio of what? what do you want to do? Lay floors, kitchens, shuttering, furniture, 1st/2nd, you will have a preference