Extra switch wiring

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Shanemag85, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Shanemag85

Shanemag85 New Member

Hopefully a nice easy one for you guys.

I currently have a living room setup with 2 x 2way switches for the main light.

However due to the location of the switch nearest the hallway door, it's going to be put on a 3 gang 2 way switch in the hallway.

However for aesthetics she wants to keep the living room switch in place, but not necessarily functional as it won't be used anyway.

The current wiring is not long enough to pass through the wall to the other switch so they need extending. A block connector would be ideal but space is very tight.

And although my soldering and heatshrinking skills are very good, I'm reading this is a no no.

So this brings me to my question. Can I basically daisy chain the new switch to the existing switch, essentially using the existing switch as a block connector? Or will that cause issues? In my mind, it seems logical that it wouldn't cause problems but I'd rather be sure.

The other question is what are peoples views on soldering house wiring? Again I'm very confident in my soldering abilities but has been limited to vehicles and pcbs so obviously working with much higher voltage and current I'd rather be safe than sorry

Thanks in advance

2. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

Use a crimp or a wago.

3. Philip Hyde

Philip Hyde Screwfix Select

Why not swap the switch for an intermediate switch and move the 2 gang two way to the hall. 2 3 core and earth cables and only 1 joint in each box and all the other connected into the switches

4. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

Is that easier than joining the switch wires using wagos then push the extended cable through the wall to the new position?

5. Philip Hyde

I would be guessing without seeing the job.

6. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

No need to guess,the op wants to leave the existing switch in place

7. Philip Hyde

Yeah But NOT nessecarly functioning is what he's written.

8. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

He also wrote 'a nice easy one '....which your suggestion is definitely not easy...or didn't you read that part???

9. Philip Hyde

So 6 Wago terminals or maybe more in the back of the switch box is the way to go. I made a suggestion that's all. I must have missed your helpful solution.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  10. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

The way I suggested would use 2 wagos for each switch ,1 for the live and 1 for the switched live. Not 6 or any more.
    So yes you definitely did miss my helpful solution.
    Always helps if you actually find out what is needed before you come up with a suggestion.

11. Philip Hyde

2 wagos on each 2 way switch interesting how will that work as a 2 way switch then?
    PS where did you post that bit I've looked through and can't see it.

12. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

If you cant work out how to do it just make your own thread instead of hijacking someone elses thread with ridiculous ideas and extra questions.
    Stick to the original post and forget about advising to install an intermediate switch which the op will obviously have no idea how to wire

13. Andy_1983

Andy_1983 New Member

I thought the option of an intermediate switch was a really good idea. That’s what I’d do.

14. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

The common can stay in the switch terminal with no need to wago it.
    So I haven't forgotten anything

15. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

Firstly the op stated that he doesn't want the switch to remain functional, secondly it is very doubtful that the op would know what an intermediate switch is or how to wire one,thirdly using extra unnecessary materials costs extra in time and cost of materials.
    So if you would put an intermediate switch in when it's not needed then you would only be doing what you want to do instead of doing what the client requested.

16. Philip Hyde

Thanks I was simply a suggestion but There you go.
    No he didn't

17. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

Oh yes he/she did.....

However for aesthetics she wants to keep the living room switch in place, but not necessarily functional as it won't be used anyway.

18. Philip Hyde

Yeah always aesthetically pleasing to have switches on the wall that actually do something
    .For the extra cost of £5 I'd give my clients the option. Same as explaining to the Op the 5 minutes extra it would take to fit an intermediate switch. But everyone's different. I'm sorry if me having a different approach upset you.

Andy_1983 likes this.
  19. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

Try reading what is needed and you might get somewhere. Or do you just like intermediate switches even when they are not wanted or needed?

20. Philip Hyde

I
    have commented my opinion which is actually sound, Secondly don't waste your time attempting to get any further attention from me.