Gas Meter re-siting, price too high! £3100

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Jitender, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Works alraedy in progress as I type.

Won't be adding further info or pictures. This pist was to help others in same posirion as are most of all my other posts.

2. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

I would really like to see how this project concludes, you've put in a lot of hard work and effort! Ignore the buffoons trying to belittle you.

3. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

When you start planning to use elderly relatives to lie for you then I think you have belittled yourself to be honest

KIAB likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

With respect No.

Done that myself,when it can save you several thousand quid,then that money is better in your pocket than contractors doing the work.

5. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

Each to their own, as long as you have saved a bit of money who cares what the elderly relatives think ...

6. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

hope you got plenty of proper tea & coffee with some decent quality sausage rolls inc vagan ones ready to welcome your trades people ;) it could be a long day.

second course is tea &coffee with quality choco biscuits none of them sh12te imported things ,hey your the supervisor its your rules & cash !

Gasing :D

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Don't have any gas so have an excuse not to make any.

Plus only have samosas and spring rolls which are similar :D

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The problem with my contact with Cadent was I was advised wrongly. Instead of going through first 'Alteration' which they class as a bespoke service. I would have been better to go for a a 'disconnection' first, then a 'new connection'.

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

They arrived yesterday I think with the two of them there it took around 2 hours. Another team will arrive by Friday to make good and back fill the trench, there is some pathway to reinstate with tarmac etc.

Also a bit gutted I had to dig a massive trench as the supply pipe was 32mm not 63mm as first thought. So first surveyor and plan got this wrong.
    The job would have been much more easier to take neareer to the gas meter as shown on the pictures ( about 2.8m) . As this is whats essentially happened, rather than a total lenght of under 9m.

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

i.e could have cam off from here: the 32mm pipe can just be seen t the RH sde of the trench. Would have been one fitting jus there (32mm tapping tee>32/25mm)

upload_2020-1-14_10-12-43.jpeg

11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I had done most of the trench work upto the isolation valve.

When I first had the surveyor they provided a plan showing that the gas main was 63mm. Instead it is only 32mm. I can only assume that as we are the last property on a row, they reduced it down from 63>32mm at the second last place.

So they came off the same pipe going to the downstairs flat.

upload_2020-1-14_10-15-17.png

Came off 32mm with tapping T to reduced 20mm for about 500mm lenght of pipe, then went up to 25mm. Can only assume they only had a 32>20mm fusing weld tapping tee.

Total run of pipe is about 8.8m to base (ground level) of gas meter.

If I knew they were coming off the 32mm then it would have been far easier and cheaper to come off the 32mm and a close point, which would have been about 2.8m in lenght. No digging up pathway, and then having to send out extra teams to make good etc.

Also the old isolation valve cast iron cover has been removed. I dont think this will be reinstated.

12. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

good to hear its all sorted out :)