Confused about radiator widths.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by klunky, Jan 13, 2020.

1. klunky

klunky New Member

I need to change the radiator in my hall, but the pipes come up vertically from a concrete floor, which gives me less leeway over width.
    The two pipe centres are exactly 103cm apart.
    It's difficult to search for a suitable radiator, and when I get in the ball park, I don't know if I'm getting pipe centre measurements or the width of the panel.
    Most retailers, and manufacturers don't provide proper/any tech specs, so I'm just confused.
    Neither Screwfix, nor the competition are much use on this.

Is there an easy way of finding the width I want?

And, should I go a fair bit narrower, and alter the copper pipes (I'd have to use ring solder fittings)?

Or get as close as possible and use different tails?

In which case, can I shorten rigid radiator tails, if needed?

And, are telescopic tails any good?

Thanks in advance.

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Rads are measured to external edges.

3. carl24bpool

carl24bpool Active Member

add bout 45mm each side for standard valves. Thats an 1100mm radiator which doesnt exist I think. You can always get a 1000mm radiator and then buy longer tails to be cut to exact length you need.

4. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Think your measurements are wrong .
    The pipe centres are 1030 mm.
    How can an 1100 mm wide rad fit ?

5. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

900mm wide radiator is your best bet, possibly with tail extensions.

Mike83 likes this.
  6. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Agree with size.
    Fit extensions or a drain valve between the valve and radiator you probably only need to make up 30/40mm

7. andy48

andy48 Screwfix Select

Don't forget the pipe centre to wall measurements may also be different for a new radiator, which WOULD require pipework changes.

8. Baxi Boy

Baxi Boy Active Member

You will need to use a radiator type that suits the spacing of pipes from wall,a type 11 is 45mm ,type 21 is 65mm,and type 22 is 81mm in standard bracket fitments.Judging by your measurements,it sounds like a 900mm is your easiest option,the thermostatic valve needs 45mm,and lockshield 35mm,so if you add 50mm of extension tails you will make up 1030mm.You could change up to an 1100 rad but only by extending the copper pipe work .I would guess your old radiator was 950mm,which are measured from where the valves screw in.

Joe the Plumber likes this.
  9. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

Don't be tempted by telescopic tails, unless you like wet feet!

10. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

I'd be inclined to get a wider rad, than solder on elbows to each of the pipes coming up from the floor, then long street elbows into the TRV/lockshield. Its unlikely the pipes will be in exactly the right place anyway, with a wider rad you've got some length to play with. Downside is that the pipework could look a bit strange - but carefully done, the elbows and extra pipework could be hidden behind the bottom of the rad.

11. carl24bpool

carl24bpool Active Member

Yep, sorry Terry, I read that as width of rad and added on to pipe centres.

terrymac likes this.