Re Amazon Alexa

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by The Shadow, Jan 14, 2020.

1. The Shadow

The Shadow Member

Hi can any body please tell be if a Baxi combi boiler can be controlled by an Amazon Alexa.

The gas safe engineer who fitted our boiler simply fitted a plug on the lead from the boiler and connected into a dedicated wall socket previously serving an immersion heater.

My plan was to connect the plug from the boiler into a wireless plug connected to the wall socket, Alexa would then communicate and control the boiler.

Cheers

2. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

You need a smart thermostat to control the boiler and Alexa can then control the smart thermostat.
    Look at nest or hive.

3. The Shadow

The Shadow Member

Cheers will look at them both, but can Alexa without a smart thermostat just control the boiler on/ off when we want it.

4. furious_customer

The thermostat should be used to control the boiler rather than just cutting it off at the mains.
    You will also get the advantage that you can control the boiler when away from home - nothing nicer than coming home to an already warm house.

The Shadow likes this.
  5. jackelliott07

jackelliott07 Active Member

No i don't believe so - although we have a google home mini (same style thing as Alexa) and a nest - it's actually really good. I know it's not exactly hard to turn the heating on, or to just use the app on your phone (which you will have if you have a smart thermostat naturally..) but it is convenient!

If i intended to stay in my house, i would probably also get smart bulbs etc.

The Shadow likes this.
  6. furious_customer

Smart switches are better than smart bulbs.

7. jackelliott07

jackelliott07 Active Member

What's the difference? Didn't know such a thing existed

8. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Agree, changing the switches to smart versions is a much better solution than bulbs, it means you can keep all of your existing light fittings. Amazon have a load of options on them. Look for the ones that don't need a hub.

Also one thing you need to check, which is a potential issue with the switches, they generally need a Neutral cable at the switch, not all wiring has this

9. furious_customer

lightwaverf is the best home lighting solution that I have found.
    philips hue is fine for some areas, but if someone flips the switch on the wall then you need to get up off the sofa and flip it back again :-(