Ideal Classic FF350 boiler

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Dave Beard, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Dave Beard

Dave Beard New Member

Hi all,

Got a couple of questions regarding our ideal classic ff350 pressurised boiler in our garage.

Does anyone know what pressure we should have this at?
    We normally have the gauge on about 1.5 bar of pressure when it's not running, when it runs it shoots up to above 2bar. ( just how it was when we moved in )

Also, today I noticed the pressure had dropped to around 1 bar, so I topped it up to 1.5bar, then a couple of hours later it was back down at 1bar and there was a wet patch on the concrete floor beneath where the boiler is.
    I checked for any sign of water on boiler itself, pipework and valves etc but no signs of a leak. It could be water coming through wall but just seems a coincidence!
    I've attached a photo showing leak, you can see the gas copper pipe running up wall, boiler is above that.

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Boiler pressure ,when cold , at1 bar is enough.
    That looks like quite a lot of water on the floor ,needs investigation . As does the reason for your pressure loss.

3. Dave Beard

Dave Beard New Member

Thanks for advice on pressure.
    Is there any reason others than a leak that boiler would lose pressure? I haven't bled rads or anything.

4. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

the photo is just showing a wet floor,cant say how it appeared :(

ask the last gas boiler service engineer if they had issue with checking or pumping up the expansion vessel,a correctly serviced expansion vessel will reduce other pressure faults but every one knows that o_O

5. Dave Beard

Dave Beard New Member

Sorry about poor picture!
    Would the expansion vessel actually leak itself if faulty? Is this expansion vessel likely to be found in the boiler?

Sorry not clued up on this kind of stuff

6. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

The EV accommodates the water expansion in your sealed central heating system. When water is heated it expands. So your gauge reads 1 bar when cold ,and when hot will increase ,falling back to 1 when cold. If the pressure reaches 3 bar ( or close to), the pressure relief valve opens and let's water out ( via a pipe from the boiler to outside) to relieve the pressure.
    If the pressure gets to the above level it's likely that the EV needs attention. Could just need to be re charged ,or at worst replacing.

7. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

If you can't see where the water is coming from the boiler (if it is that, probably yes) put a box or similar in the corner with newspaper on top, if it gets wet it's dripping from your boiler; you can then move onto why and where on the boiler as per previous comments.

8. Dave Beard

Dave Beard New Member

I've found out the water is leaking from the PRV. PRV doesnt have a pipe going outside so just dribbles onto floor.
    Any ideas what would be causing the boiler to raise from 1bar with no demand, to 3bar ( and causing the prv to release water ) when heating hot water or ch )?

9. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

As already explained ,the EV isn't functioning. Needs re charging probably.

Dave Beard likes this.