New Carpet; Is it me or is it a problem?

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Mikeainuk, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Mikeainuk

Mikeainuk New Member

Hi I am looking for some advice. I have had a new carpet installed (see attached pics) and you can see the uneven floorboards through the carpet which does not look great. The carpet that this replaced did not show the floorboards. I am open to what you think the problem is. I did call the installer back and he said the carpet is tight and he does not see any problems with this. I am open to advice?

Attached Files:

2. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Do you have decent underlay?
    Was it changed?
    Is the new carpet a similar thickness/ quality to last?

Astramax likes this.
  3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

If the floor is that uneven it should have been ply overboarded first.

gadget man likes this.
  4. Mikeainuk

Mikeainuk New Member

Hey CraigMcK, it was new underlay, I was told it was 10mm good quality stuff but I am wondering if other underlay would not solve this issue, so that is why I posted here for some advice. The underlay it replaced was a rubber backed felt underlay. The carpet is a better quality carpet.

Hey Astramax, to be honest it is a old house and there was no overboard previously but then again there were no “ripples” like this in the old carpet.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Were gripper bars fitted, if so then carpet wasn't stretch/tensioned enough onto them.

upload_2020-1-14_22-12-24.jpeg

6. Mikeainuk

Mikeainuk New Member

Yes gripper bars were there. When the fitter came back he did try and tension it up again and it made only the slightest difference.

7. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Is that the actual floorboards doing that to the carpet?
    How long has new carpet been fitted?
    I am wondering if the carpet will level out with time

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Maybe a daft question but do the floorboards lay that way or is the real problem a fault with the carpet as the other rooms look fine from what can be seen.

9. Mikeainuk

Mikeainuk New Member

The carpet has been in 3 weeks. I guess I to am wondering if I should pay the balance outstanding on this fitting or insist they fix it. I am looking here for that kind of advice :- “this is a poor installation and this is what should have been done or a don’t worry it will settle in an the lumps will disappear.”

10. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

If you are not happy then don’t pay. That is obviously not good enough.
    Even if your floorboards are not even the underlay will level it out a bit and the carpet will only settle to that after time.

looks to me like your carpet has been rolled tightly and is still showing that

Mikeainuk likes this.
  11. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I think its a carpet fault. Don't know how to fix. Probably needs replacing but view carpet at shop before it's fitted. Seen waves like this before. Has a name but can't remember what it is. Some blame static. You can get plug in devices to stop it. Google waves from static in carpet... These devices that Stop the waves are thought to be a scam. They don't do anything, however customers leave because they feel they have no choice. I worked for a guy that had a few plugged in as he threatened carpet fitters with court. They replaced carpet and fitted these plug in devices. He took one apart to see what was inside and could not work out what it was. He was an electrical engineer. Said nothing much inside?Anyway. The waves never came back in carpet..

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  12. Mikeainuk

Mikeainuk New Member

The floorboards run that way. The problem is in the other room to a le
    Yes the floorboards run that way.

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Carpet Buckling.

14. dinkydo

dinkydo Screwfix Select

I would have expected decent carpet fitters to have advised you that the floorboards needed attending to prior to them laying the carpets, did they rip out the old stuff ? If so they should have been aware that this issue didn’t exist then, the finished job is what matters and I would expect any trade to raise awareness to the fact that the finished product could be compromised by what has gone on before

15. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

WHat is te width of each wave? It looks quite large and possibly way more than the width of a typical floor board.

Can you actually feel the board edges through the carpet?

16. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I bet the underlay is rubbish. No way that ripple should show through.

Mikeainuk likes this.
  17. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Its probably a combination of things. How long was it on the roll? I think it will settle over time.

Muzungu likes this.
  18. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

I am going for it being on the roll for some time, that along with a stiff backing. I doubt that it would be an underlay issue or the floorboards showing through to be honest. It may settle down with time but by then, if it doesn't, will the fitter or the seller want to know?

I had a carpet fitted not that long ago and it had a couple of ripples down the entire length similar. The carpet fitter told me when he fitted it that he had a hell of a job stretching it as the carpet was really stiff, his opinion was a manufacturing fault. The carpet had other faults as well, again pointed out by the fitter, so I had the whole thing taken up and replaced. This was SCS, so kudos to them. Since the fitter was employed by me maybe he was more honest about it then if he had been directly employed by SCS.

Always best to ensure the carpet is in a warm room for 24 hours before fitting.

Mikeainuk, KIAB, Heat and 1 other person like this.
  19. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

A very experienced carpet fitter told me the above. Before he arranged a day for fitting a carpet he would always ask where the carpet was being stored and advised the roll must be laid flat and in a warm room, not in an unheated store.
    Apparently it is not flexible enough if cold.

Mikeainuk, Muzungu and KIAB like this.
  20. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Lay it flat in the garden!

Mikeainuk and Heat like this.