UFH manifolds: actuators and connections have a standard?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by rk_diy, Jan 14, 2020.

1. rk_diy

rk_diy Member

Are there generic manifolds that we can use with any brand pipe or actuators and not tied up with a brand for spare parts?
    Do actuators have a common fitting standard or all are brand specific?

2. Dave Marques

Dave Marques Member

It's best to stick to the same brand as the manifold. They have different threads and 'stroke' lengths so while some will work on a different manifold, others won't.

3. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

What does your intended highly experienced installer recommend,its not diy :)

4. rk_diy

rk_diy Member

5. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Decent manifold products from well known heating manufactures like Danfoss will last a long time,as long as they are installed correctly.

Danfoss will be around for many years,cant say that about some of the unknown,rebadged or unbranded products. Spares can be intermixed,many people just purchase the cheapest items and hope for the best ;)

6. rk_diy

rk_diy Member

thats very true but "local availability" from retailers is important as well. I had a quick look and couldn't see a price or even a complete set of Danfoss manifolds. It seems their marketing focused more on controllers here. I was considering Hep2o's manifold but not sure about their composite manifolds rather than brass. Better to go for a well known, well-tested and tried for long time system. Lets see what other recommendations will come up :)

7. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

I have bought several UFH systems from different vendors, including our hosts, and many of them mix and match individual items from different vendors to pull them together into tried and tested systems. The vendors themselves take on the role of system integrator and will help you with any incompatibility issues you may have. I found these guys to be really great (https://www.underfloorheatingsupply.co.uk/underfloor-heating-kits).

8. Dave Marques

Dave Marques Member

The down side of that is when a problem develops, the manifold manufacturer blames the supplier of the actuators and vice versa, leaving the installer high & dry. I understand people looking to save money but for me, I'd rather fit a Grohe tap or Uponor actuator, pay the premium and have piece of mind.