talk box sash windows

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Mr Rusty, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

As an aside on the design of the sash box and weight access, I also found this document from the Irish government which has a photo similar to my design and says:-

"The pocket pieces are at a low height in the inner lining, sometimes behind the shutter. Occasionally they are cut out of the frame stile and are concealed by the closed lower sash"

which suggests in Ireland cutting into the pulley stile is the exception. Perhaps this is why it is also common in the US. I have found the research into window design very interesting, and as I said very early on in this thread - "there's more than one way to skin a cat (poor cat!)"

Attached Files:

KIAB likes this.
  2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

New England, USA, sash windows, or hung sash window as the yanks call them,there some churchs up there, that have very tall windows, so they have triple- and quadruple-hung sash windows, one church feature on 'This Old House',I think, amazing construction these windows.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Here is a triple sash window at Jefferson's Monticello house, Charlottesville, Virginia.

[​IMG]

4. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

wow those glazing bars are thin - but no obvious fasteners. The tall one looks like two separate windows- double glazing? Again, kudos to those guys who used to make stuff like this by hand...

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

All down to the counterbalance weight I believe.

Those large triple-sash windows, the bottom two portions may be raised to form a doorway, or the bottom sash can be raised, the top lowered, to encourage cross-ventilation.

And here is another triple sash window, about 10' high.:eek:

More detials here: http://thedevilqueen.blogspot.co.uk/2007/02/strange-tale-of-triple-sash-window.html

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  6. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

Lovely work, Mr Rusty you know your stuff!

KIAB likes this.
  7. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

....And now for my next trick - make a pair of external opening inward french doors. Must be a sucker for punishment, but can't find exactly what I want - needs to have a lower non-glazed panel so I can fit a cat door for the bosses of the house. I have some Accoya left over because I only made 7 sashes not 8, so they'll be Accoya.... Photos in due course...........

KIAB likes this.
  8. rich6757

rich6757 Member

Great thread Rusty!

How are they doing? Anything you wish you'd done differently?

How far did you go with your CAD? Basic layout or detailed 3d/2d?

9. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

The doors got made. Here before painting and glazing, and without the plant-on cover strip.

Windows all finished and installed. Would I do anything different next time? - no I don't think so. The design I used is pretty much a copy of mumford and woods conservation sash windows http://www.mumfordwood.com/box-sash-windows/glazing.html they also helpfully provide cad drawings of all their sections.......:p

I produced my own 3D cad drawing which I chopped up so I had just the 4 corners. By positioning them to scale for each window I could then measure off each section dimensions from the CAD. Some grabs from my drawings attached

Attached Files:

chippie244 likes this.
  10. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Coming back to this thread if anybody refers to it. Couple of observations now we are living with the windows and they have been in a couple of years

1) Accoya is brilliant - timber hasn't moved a millimeter - everything still runs freely . Teknos paint still A1

2) - and the main reason for coming back - I overlooked that the pulleys are a hole in the frame with a potential air route through to the cavity/box frame/trickle vent. Although the window is draught free, the pulley holes were not - big draughts. Reddiseals have a product that remedies https://www.reddiseals.com/product/pulley-cover/ - now fitted - perfect!.

Jord86 likes this.
  11. If you need any advice on your Sash windows, especially sash heritage restorations, give me a shout!

12. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I would ask the moderators to remove your contact details and web address - people whom have tried to "promote" their business on here have fallen victim to spam attacks etc.

13. Really? What on earth is the world coming to when you can't even link a relevent business on a thread!!!

14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Some members would view it as spam and there are a few trolls that like causing trouble.

15. Ah I see, apologies, I mis-read your first reply. Spam protection is strong on my inbox!! (Famous last words)

16. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

2 more years on. All sound and solid. teknos paint standing up well. Two weights are just bottoming out because the cord has stretched a bit more than I guessed.

BuildingThings and Abbadon2001 like this.
  17. qwas123

qwas123 Screwfix Select

City&Guilds craft cert used to require test pieces of a Box - double hung window and a Gunstock Stile door.
    No power tools were allowed, the timber provided was rough sawn.
    All work had to be rodded out full scale.

Not a test piece but required as work in progress was rodding out to about 1/4 scale, and cutting and erecting a full size gable and hip ended roof.

Whatever they do now I dont know but I'm sure the apprentices are just as good, or better, as back in the day.