Is my existing circuit enough to run an induction hob

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Jamie169, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Jamie169

Jamie169 New Member

Hi, looking to change to induction hob, as you’ve all probably heard this question a million times I need to know if my existing line requires upgrading... the consumer unit has a separate 32Amp MCB for the cooker. Thanks C8F39CB8-F677-4DB2-ABA2-1AB5C4A5F145.jpeg BB01F9FA-D9E3-4573-9E2F-5D83FAB663D5.jpeg

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

What is the power rating of the induction hob?
    32A MCB will allow 7680W before tripping.
    If your induction hob is below that, then you can just connect it with no modification.
    If more, then you will need to upgrade your wiring and change your MCB accordingly. This would be notifiable.

3. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Alternatively you can apply diversity

upload_2020-1-16_10-43-6.png

So, as suggested, find out the the rating of your hob.
    If stated in kW then convert to Amps by dividing by 230 (nominal supply voltage)

Example

Load = 8850 Watt (8.9kW)
    Amps = 38.5 A

Applying diversity

10 + (28.5 x 0.30) = 18.55 A

4. Jamie169

Jamie169 New Member

Thanks for your prompt reply! I hadn’t chosen a specific hob yet due to being indecisive about whether to bite the bullet and get the line upgraded (should of checked first!)

an example on AO is 7200w 7200/230 = 31.3Amps.

I guess I could get the hob hardwired and use a standard 13Amp socket to power the oven?

Thanks for your help guys!

5. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

If the oven comes with a plug, then yes. Otherwise consult the manufactures instructions for installation.

6. Jamie169

Jamie169 New Member

Hey guys, I’ve managed to get to the cable at the back of the cupboard and it’s 13.5mm wide meaning it’s 6mm²?

am I still okay to run an induction hob, could somebody tell me the greatest Kw hob I could use?

appreciate it.

Attached Files:

7. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

You have 6mm cable protected with a 32A MCB.

You can use any hob where the manufacturers instructions require a max of 32A MCB or in the absence of instructions apply the diversity calculation.

If you are in any doubt get a local spark to check it for you and connect the hob. Not an expensive job for peace of mind and house that won't burn down.

8. Jamie169

Jamie169 New Member

Thanks! Will do, better to be safe!

9. rogerk101

How did you deduce that a 13.5mm wide cable has 6mm² cross sectional areas of both of the twins in a twin & earth cable?

10. Jamie169

Jamie169 New Member

Attached Files:

11. rogerk101

OK. Thanks. It's a new one on me, but that's the joy of this forum ... we live and learn!

Jamie169 likes this.
  12. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Jamie169 likes this.
  13. Jamie169

Jamie169 New Member

That wasn’t the only place I got the information from, still it was just a guide... I will be getting confirmation from a qualified electrician
    See link: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CA6Gslash50.html

Attached Files: