Wireless thermostat

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by David Dale, Jan 16, 2020.

1. David Dale

David Dale New Member

Evening all
    I am looking to fit a wireless thermostat in my static caravan and am becoming a bit confused
    I understand that I need a receiver wired up to my boiler that’s fine I wish to have a portable thermostat which I can take from room to room
    My problem is reasonably priced set ups are talking about line of sight between thermostat and receiver
    I wish to have my receiver in a cupboard near my boiler any suggestions
    Ps I would not fit this myself but would get someone who knows what they are doing

2. Philip Hyde

Philip Hyde Screwfix Select

What do class as reasonable priced?

3. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

I really can’t see you having too many issues in a caravan.
    Have a look at the Salus options. Fairly good prices, I had one installed without any issues of line of sight.
    They are about £50 if you look around

Muzungu likes this.
  4. David Dale

David Dale New Member

Thanks for that:)

5. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Salus 510rf works fine for me through several doors and round corners :)

David Dale likes this.
  6. David Dale

David Dale New Member

Up to £100

7. David Dale

David Dale New Member

Does anyone know anything about the Siemens RDJ 100 RF/Set

8. Philip Hyde

Philip Hyde Screwfix Select

David Dale likes this.
  9. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

You used to be able to get the same thing from the Parts Centre (Plumb Centre) for half the price of the Honeywell original, it was branded Travis Perkins but was exactly the same thing. Since it has been taken over and re-branded as Wolseley the price is back through the roof again. Its a shame because the Honeywell is the only one that really seems to work properly but capitalism and all that conquers all I suppose.

Philip Hyde likes this.
  10. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

A hard wired thermostat and it can be the cheapest one they still work, but a wireless thermostat needs a fail safe, if for what ever reason the two units do not have a RF link the base unit needs to switch off the boiler, the Honeywell Y6630D does fail safe, if no signal in 30 minutes it switches off, the Horstmann HRFS-1 does not fail safe, so I walked in to mothers house at around 30 degs C when it went wrong.

However there is a second problem, with a gas boiler they are often modulating, the output varies, this is often controlled by return water temperature which is in turn controlled by the thermostatic radiator valve, but the Honeywell Y6630D has a very good anti-hysteresis software in it, so as it approaches the target temperature it starts switching off/on so it does not over shoot, great with an oil boiler, but messes up the built in algorithms of a modulating gas boiler, to stop a gas boiler over shooting the thermostat either has to work out how long it takes to heat room and switches off at a point where it will not over shoot, or connect to boiler ebus, some thing like Nest.

Much depends on boiler and how you use it, if the Horstmann HRFS-1 goes wrong and you are there in the room, you know it has gone wrong and can manually switch it off, and if you have TRV fitted they should stop it over heating anyway. Also the Honeywell Y6630D will work, however it may not work in most efficient way.

So we can safely say EvoHome will work, but Horstmann HRFS-1 and Honeywell Y6630D may also work, but we don't know how you will use it and what boiler you have, with a eQ-3 TRV head my rooms never over heat, would not matter what the wall or free standing thermostat does, room would still not over heat when mother put the Horstmann HRFS-1 away in a draw, but wax heads are not as accurate.

But we are trying to advise and we don't even know if your boiler used water, my caravan uses hot air, so do give us a little more info.

11. David Dale

David Dale New Member

Ok
    Morco gb24 series 2
    All I want to do is use the thermostat in permanent manual mode and just turn temperature up or down as required also to take the thermostat into the bedroom on a night to keep a reasonable temp as it can get very cold at this time of year so I am not looking for a thermostat with 1001 programs
    Hope you can help

12. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Any wireless stat will do the job.
    But if you have no stat currently fitted and have trvs then your rooms won’t really get any warmer. You will be able to stop the caravan getting warmer than you want though and have remote control of the temperature.
    Do you want just a basic thermostat as you mentioned(temp up and down) or a programmable stat that gives you a bit more flexibility (time and temp control).

13. David Dale

David Dale New Member

Hi
    Just a basic up and down temp stat will do but must be wireless and must transmit through 2 doors

14. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Decent Honeywell will be £75.
    Salus will be half that.
    Any wireless stat should do the job.
    If it works in houses at 5m range plus then it should be no problem in a caravan.

15. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Have fitted slot of the siemans stats they simple to wire and operate, they around £60, it was my preferred choice untill people wanted to operate the boiler from Hong Kong from their phone whilst on holiday

16. David Dale

David Dale New Member

Very many thanks everyone for your help I think I know what route I am going to take :)

17. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

The boiler output is 8 kW to 24 kW it will auto modulate using the return water temperature if you use the TRV to control it, however the TRV will never turn it off, on a warm day it would cycle on/off all day without a wall thermostat, I see the idea of moving the thermostat room to room, however question if this is a good idea as the boiler is likely to heat water to 70°C and will not condense so does not use latent heat with a thermostat turning off/on, where using a TRV the water temperature will once warm drop to 40°C and maintain the caravan at temperature with very little hysteresis and will condense and use the latent heat.

Using the terrier i30 or the eQ-3 programmable TRV heads will give a far better control to a wall thermostat. And they are cheaper. I got blue tooth version of eQ-3 for £15 each, seen non blue tooth at £10 each. Cheap wall thermostat to turn off system on a warm day yes, but main control should be with TRV heads.

18. David Dale

David Dale New Member

Think I understand what you are saying I may revert to using a thermostatic controlled electric heater in the bedroom
    Thanks for your help

19. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

Once boiler has modulated to 8 kW it will auto use a mark/space ratio (switching off/on) so will still heat rooms as required in most cases, basic theory is an on/off wall thermostat with a modulating boiler is only there to switch whole system off on warm days, temperature control of each room is with the TRV. However in real terms the wax or liquid TRV is not accurate enough and too slow to act, plus only set to one temperature. So an electronic version is more accurate and set in degs C not silly *123456 it is faster to act, and it can be set to different temperatures through the day, plus easy to fit, and reasonably cheap have seen them advertised at £10 each.

If you move to next stage, with hive or evohome etc, then what happens is the TRV head tells the wall thermostat when to turn on the heating, but then the cost is a lot higher, £50 for TRV plus £100 plus for the wall thermostat.