Thoughts on shower cabins

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Skyblue1, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Skyblue1

Skyblue1 Member

Has anyone had any experiences with shower cabins? I like that they don't need tiling but wonder if they're reliable. Are they worth the money?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  2. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Not heard of a shower cabin but I’m curious.

Skyblue1 likes this.
  3. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

If you are referring to shower pods ,they are ok for keeping water within them. But the ones I have fitted were not exactly " stunning looking". Glass panels / door and white plastic wall for the shower to fit onto. Functional ,but not stylish .

Skyblue1 likes this.
  4. Skyblue1

Skyblue1 Member

Agree they're not the prettiest. What's the quickest and most practical showers you've come across?

5. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Modular shower units they are sometimes called.
    Another option is the one (or two) piece tray and panel type showers.
    All makes sense to me.
    The caravan showers work well

Skyblue1 likes this.
  6. Skyblue1

Skyblue1 Member

If it develops a fault/needs servicing, are they difficult to fix?

7. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

The shower units like you get in caravans can be difficult if shower valve goes faulty as you sometimes have no choice but to replace with identical type.
    On the units that are basically a one piece tray and walls (you then buy a shower door), they will be fine if you install a good quality standard shower valve - preferably an exposed shower valve, so it can be repaired or replaced easily if it gives trouble.
    With ordinary showers with tiled walls you can just remove a few tiles, but above units you cannot