Buying router

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Martint86, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Martint86

Martint86 Member

Hi,

I'm looking at treating myself to a router, I've not got any certain projects in mind but I'm thinking about learning to do butt and scribes, bits of furniture, etc, I'm guessing for worktops a 1/2" would be best suited?

All of my kit is Bosch so I'd probably stick with that , the 2 I've been looking at are the GOF 1600 CE and the GMF 1600 , don't really know much about routers but ones a plunge cutter and the other is a multifunction router.

What's the difference?

Cheers

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

longboat likes this.
  3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Looking at them, very little difference. Also bloody silly money for what they are, I’d take KIABs advice or get yourself Dewalts DW625 model, based on the old Elu design.

WillyEckerslike and KIAB like this.
  4. Martint86

Martint86 Member

Ok I'll look into them, are they new/newish? Probably want to go with something quite recent if possible

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And the Bosch router if it's like their GKF600 palm router, a nightmare with guide bushes,need adaptor for using Bosch bushes.

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I’ve got their palm router but it’s set up exclusively for hinge recesses, so I’ve not really experienced any grief with it as it’s use is very one dimensional. Was thrilled to pick up the plunge base about a year ago in Screwfix for half price, as it had been a customer returned item so they were doing it for thirty seven quid, absolute bargain I thought but it’s been sat in the damn garage for all this time unused.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got rid of my GKF 600,hated it, couldn't use my threaded guide bushes,unless you used a uni base or buy adaptor Bosch RA1100 for them,you also then needed RA1129 adaptor as well,either to use other adaptor or Bosch's own bushes,got Katsu setup for hinges,can use threaded bushes with no hassle.

8. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

In my opinion the DW625 is a bit big for some jobs - it's a 2000W (~3hp) beast (I have the near identical trend T11 in a table). Personally I prefer about 13-1500W for hand-held work - easily enough for worktops. I had a 1/2" ryobi 1300W I used for years until the bearings went, and replaced with a festool OF1400 (I know!! ££) which is really nice to use.

9. Martint86

Martint86 Member

Ok then cheers so I'll rule Bosch out I'll check out the Makita and de Walt's

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Look at the Makita RP2301FCXK

kitfit1 likes this.
  11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I purchased the Trend T10, which is near to the Dewalt 625. Bought it second hand had los of power. Ended up selling this as used fir a worktop. It was a 110v version and needes a 5kva transformer.

I have a Dewalt 621 router, which is lighter and does most jobs except worktops.

WillyEckerslike and kitfit1 like this.
  12. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

All 2000+ Watt 110v routers need a 5Kva transformer, that's why none of them come with a plug. In fact, if you are using dust extraction as well, you need 2 transformers.

If i was in the market for a new router, i would almost certainly end up with the Makita RP2301FCXK. It's probably one of, if not the best, built routers on the market at the moment. Maybe not quite as good as the Festool, but at half the price is much better value for money.

Jitender likes this.
  13. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

The DW621 is a lovely little router with good dust extraction built in. I also have the original Elu version - the OF97e. Having a pair set up with with different cutters can be really helpful on some projects - no swapping cutters and resetting depths all the time - just swap over the extraction and carry on.

Edit: 'little router' is probably misleading now that palm routers are the 'in thing'.

KIAB likes this.
  14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

That's one other reason I sold it, when I used it on a the smaller transformer. it would feel underpowered. I struggle carrying a 2.2kva transformer, so wouldn't dare to think what a 5kva must be like :eek:

15. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

They are heavy :D i know.....................i've got 3 and use them every week :(

16. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Almost as heavy as Mrs Eckerslike's handbag. Who carries a tin of soup in her handbag.....?

BikerChris likes this.
  17. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

With all respect to Mrs Eckerslike's handbag Willy, a tin of soup will never be as heavy as a 5Kva :D

BikerChris likes this.