Led mirror only turns on when pull light is off!

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Jay78, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Jay78

Jay78 Member

Hi

I've installed a led mirror that is activated via waving your hand over a infra red switch.

I wired this into the existing pull cord switch. Problem now is when the ceiling spot lights are on turned on via the pull cord the mirror doesn't turn on.

But it turns on when the pull cord is off.

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Sounds like you've wired the light across the switch.

3. Philip Hyde

Philip Hyde Screwfix Select

How did you wire it in?? Picture would be good. Did you put it into the spare hole you had on the switch?

4. Jay78

Jay78 Member

I wired it into the same slots as the live and negative in the pull cord switch.

5. Philip Hyde

I doubt you did there won't be a negative in the pull cord switch. There maybe one in the back box of the switch. But not in the switch itself. You've wired it across the live and the switched live that's unmarked as a positive.

6. Philip Hyde

7. Jay78

Jay78 Member

I see.

What do I need to do next to wire it correctly?

Here's a picture

I've wired the brown and blue.

8. Philip Hyde

I would imagine you'd be better off taking the wire to the light fitting itself instead of the switch.

Jay78 likes this.
  9. Jay78

Jay78 Member

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

OP says that the LED light comes on but only when pull cord/ceiling lights are off

If he’s wired LED mirror to switch, and we assume at switch is just Live and Switched Live, then how comes the LED is lighting with no Neutral ?

11. Philip Hyde

So Live is live all the time. other wire is getting back feed neutral down switch wire through lamp to neutral in rose.

12. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Neutral is finding it's way back via some other circuit in the mirror, or the ceiling lamp.

13. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

Probably no neutral and the led is just glowing faintly due to a small voltage but very doubtful there is 230 volts at the light

14. Jay78

Jay78 Member

That's right there is no neutral from the mirror.

I will wire the mirror before the switch/rose and that should fix the problem I hope.