Worktop joint.

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by sunflower1, Jan 24, 2020.

?

Is this acceptable?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

22 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. sunflower1

sunflower1 New Member

I have had a new kitchen installed is this worktop joint acceptable? Professional opinions please. IMG_3141.jpg

2. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

3. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

I'll wait for @kitfit1 amongst others to go to town on this, but you know the answer!. Who has done this? is it a fitter you employed? or has it been done by a kitchen company as part of their install?

4. sunflower1

sunflower1 New Member

It was my builder, he said he was more than capable of doing the job. I asked for an invisible join and this is what i have got. :( is there anyway this can rectified? Or would I need to replace all the worktop? I have two joins like this.

5. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

He obviously wasn't capable. Assuming the worktop is still available you may need some more, but not all of it - it looks like one piece is still good for jointing. The end-on piece will be too short. It's not good and isn't good enough to pay for - hopefully you haven't - don't, or at least hold some back. Is it all sealed in - hopefully not tiled in...

6. sunflower1

sunflower1 New Member

There is a small up stand that has been glued on around the kitchen, but fortunately no tiles. He walked off the job.
    I have been in touch with wrens and they have given me a price to replace the worktops.
    the kitchen is still not finished, it’s taken 4 months.
    Is it easy enough to take the worktops off? I have a couple of mm’s play with the right hand side one?
    I’m not happy at all with the finishing of anything this builder has done.

7. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

Not acceptable on any level...where is the joining strip? That would have made the joint 'invisible '
    The only way that bodge is invisible is if you don't look at it

8. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

I could do better and that's not saying much.

9. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

you do NOT use a joining strip with that type of worktop - wait for a response from one of our kitchen fitter pros on here. And please do not run to wren's - the last post on here about dodgy joints was for one of their kitchens...

10. greenback78

greenback78 Active Member

I mitred my own for the first time recently using advice here and a couple of YouTube videos. Your builder needs to pay to have it replaced (and get someone to install it properly if he’s already included in your costs). Did he cut it with a nail file?!?

Is it laminate? I’m not quite sure from the edge.

11. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

You clearly failed to interpret the ironic nature of my reply,when I stated 'that would have made the joint 'invisible ' the word invisible contained in inverted commas was a big clue.
    Wait until you are capable of grasping the context of a comment before jumping in

12. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

I doubt the OP would either - didn't want OP running off talking about jointing strips.....:p

13. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

Wait and see what the op says

14. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

I wait with some anticipation for one of the kitchen fitter pros on here to give their considered opinion; it will be interesting.

On a more serious note, that is appalling in just about every possible way. As others have said, do not go with Wrens, they will just contract it out to God knows who.

15. sunflower1

sunflower1 New Member

OK, I will not use Wrens. They just gave me a price in what it would take to replace them.

They are laminate worktops.

Am i right in thinking they should have removed that cover strip and then joined them together?

16. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

I believe the correct way with those square edge worktops with the thicker edging is to router a masons mitre joint the same as ordinary laminate. However, I am not a pro fitter - I've done loads of ordinary laminate joints over the years and can make as good a joint as anyone, but never done one of these, hence I await one of the pro fitters to confirm the full method.

17. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

That joint is an utter joke. All it needed was a standard worktop joint: not hard

even harder to bodge like that

18. greenback78

greenback78 Active Member

No they should have used a proper masons mitre. That’s appalling.

19. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

It might be possible to rectify it depending on whether there's any spare length (for both joints) and if the hob and sink have been fitted yet. The male pieces would need the extra length (oo, er, missus). A mason's mitre or possibly removing the trim and a butt joint will be required - can't quite make out the picture.

20. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Looks like a poor butt joint Willie! :oops: