Mcb module needs changing?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Yalluri, Jan 26, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Yalluri

Yalluri New Member

Hi all,

I just changed the terminal box (ceiling rose) to one of my lights which obviously involved a little bit of rewiring.
    I turned off the power switch (module) for the lights only on the mcb panel before starting and after I finished I turned the module back on.
    However no lights!?
    The sockets and everything else in the flat is working but not the lights.
    The main power module on the panel didn't switch off or anything so there doesn't seem to have been a power surge or outage.

Do I just need to replace the module in the panel?

Thanks in advance

2. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

No, you have wired the ceiling rose up incorrectly.
    Did you take a photo of the wiring before you started?
    Post that, and a photo of how it is wired now. We'll try to help, once we have stopped laughing.

3. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

More likely you have not wired up correctly at the ceiling.

4. Yalluri

Yalluri New Member

Really? But none of the lights in the flat works. Would one light impact on all of them?

The original wiring was quite strange. There were 4 brown, two blue and three earth wires coming in from the ceiling. So rewired them back to how they were originally and just changed the rose.

5. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Yes ,it's possible

6. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

More than possible,quite likely actually.

7. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Great minds think alike Peter

8. Yalluri

Yalluri New Member

OK im guessing laughing might not have stopped but has at least lessened a bit.

Attaching photos here.

Thanks BEFORE IMAGE_compress67.jpg AFTER IMAGE _compress66.jpg

9. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

You have mixed up the browns. Coming from the ceiling there are three cables. one of those has two brown conductors. The other two have one blue and one brown wire.

You need to find the cable with two browns. That is the cable from the switch. One of those browns will go to the second terminal on the right in your picture. The other goes in the middle (loop) set with the other browns. thst should sort it out.

10. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Stranded cables? think it might be wired in singles which makes it a bit more difficult. really need a multimeter to find out whats what. Earth looks sleeved though, or not, cant decide.

11. Yalluri

Yalluri New Member

Bazza

Thanks, much appreciated

I won't be dripping candle wax all over the flat then.

12. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

When you re do the wiring ,the copper wires should be fully inserted into terminals ,with none showing outside the terminal.

13. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Ah. Good spot.
    @Yalluri do you have a test meter?

I have a (rather laborious) plan if you do not.

14. Yalluri

Yalluri New Member

Yeah I do have one. What's your cunning plan?

15. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

You’ll need to do this with the power off. you need to find which two browns are the two that go to the switch.
    turn power off!!
    Is this a standard switch? If so, turn it on. put your meter to continuity (ohms) and you should see continuity between two of the browns. Turn the switch off and on to confirm you gave the right pair.

Now you know which are the switch wires (put a bad of marker on them)
    Put one of the browns in the second terminal on the right ;probably marked L.
    Put the remaining 3 browns in the 3 terminals marked LOOP. that should do it.

16. Are you in Ireland by any chance? if so, the t&e wiring used there has an insulated cpc which comes in solid or stranded conductors, it could be a twin brown and earth stranded cable.
    You would need to loosen down the ceiling rose to see if it is singles or twin and earth cable.
    It is very unusual to have so many cables at the rose when wired in conduit.

17. Yalluri

Yalluri New Member

Thanks guys.

Gonna give this a go when I get home tonight.
    Deleted member 11267, I'm in London.

Have no idea why there are so many wires.

18. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Never a good idea to do this sort of thing in the dark…

19. Yalluri

Yalluri New Member

Yeah I'll have to get my trusty head lamp out

20. Yalluri

Yalluri New Member

Guys thanks for your help. It worked. Just swapped the brown wires around untill I got the correct Configuration.

Bazza, turns out I didn't have a test meter. Was just a voltage detector.