Screwfix software update

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by Peter carrington, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Peter carrington

Peter carrington New Member

I have tried in the last few days to access the screwfix website on my iPad but have been unable to.Until recently all was working ok-is it that my old iPad will not allow access due to being unable to upgrade to the new software that has been installed.Al other websites seem to be assessable without problem and i can also access the screwfix website on my iPhone.I have also tried to install the screwfix app on my iPad without success but have successfully installed it on my iPhone.

2. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

Exactly the same problem!

3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I've always thought the app just pointed you to website. Web app, so I've given up on any benefit it may have as I can't see any. Just gone to site now and all good. I'm using the chrome browser.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got Android no such problems with the App.

5. Ohmick

Ohmick Member

I have the same problem but can access screwfix from all of my other devices including an iPhone. Other members of my family can access the site with their ipads.

There is some info re this problem on the web but I have tried all of the fixes without success. eg clearing DNS cache, clearing cookies and history and switching off/on.
    Thought I would try accessing via Chrome but couldn't download it as my ipad software (fully up to date) with IOS 10.3.3 is not compatible. Same applies when I try to download the Screwfix App
    In my case I don't think it is due to an IOS software change as my current version was released way back in 2017 and up until a few days ago access has been ok.
    What version of IOS is your ipad using?
    When I browse screwfix I don't get any error messages or site unavailable etc etc. The status bar scans and "Screwfix Direct Limited" appears in the address box but main display is blank.
    However an issue appears to be blocking content.
    I copied this address and sent it to my iPhone where it worked ok.
    One further advice from the web was to try resetting network settings which I will attempt later today. Will post later my results.

Also perhaps Screwfix have done some software changes in the past few days.

6. ramseyman

Would be interested to see what you find. The site will open with the latest ipad release but won't open with 10.3.3. Strangely though, it works with the earlier 9.3.5!!

7. Ohmick

Ohmick Member

I tried resetting the network settings but still same problem.
    I have posted an email to Screwfix describing this problem but not holding my breath.

ramseyman likes this.
  8. Ohmick

Ohmick Member

I have just tried screwfix.eu from my iPad and works ok.Screwfix.com still a problem.

9. ramseyman

Yes, exactly the same with my ipad on 10.3.3. Haven’t experienced any problems in any other sites so looks to be a Screwfix.com issue with that Apple release

10. Ohmick

Ohmick Member

Screwfix replied to my complaint today and are following it up with their IT department.
    I will keep you advised of any developments.

ramseyman likes this.
  11. Ohmick

Ohmick Member

I have just tried the site this morning and now appears to be working ok.

12. ramseyman

Well that's a strange one - still isn't working on my ipad on 10.3.3 !!

13. dinkydo

dinkydo Screwfix Select

My IPad is working fine ramseyman, I had the same problem a long while ago and resolved it by doing this.

Safari

1. Open Settings
    2. Swipe down and tap Safari
    3. Swipe down again and tap Clear History and Website Data, tap it once again to confirm

ramseyman likes this.
  14. ramseyman

Many thanks. I did that Sunday and yesterday but no joy. However for some strange reason it is now connecting to the website. I hate when there's no obvious logical explanation!

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Apple, that's the problem!

ramseyman likes this.
  16. Ohmick

Ohmick Member

I have just received an email from Screwfix confirming that a recent update on their system caused the problem with our ipads. They have now corrected this so all should be back to normal.

ramseyman likes this.
  17. ramseyman

Similar! At least it's resolved. KIAB - use Windows 10 mainly but even that is becoming a bit appley as you have to accept every update which with older peripheral devices can mean an issue with drivers after each update!!