Insurance after a ban?

Discussion in 'Car and Van Talk' started by Gazowl1975, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Gazowl1975

Gazowl1975 Member

Do you lose all ncb after a ban? Also anyone got any tips too get the quote as low as possible with DD on your licence ps it was from December 2016 the ban? Thanks

2. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

You don’t lose your no claims after a ban but they do expire after 2 years of non driving.
    You just need to keep getting quotes. Trying tweaking your job description

3. Gazowl1975

Gazowl1975 Member

Tweaking job?

4. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Sometimes changing your job description on the insurance quotes can help.

5. Gazowl1975

Gazowl1975 Member

What's a more favourable occupation? Cheers mate

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Wouldn't put occupation as Vicar, having the 'odd tipple' here and there puts the premium in a higher bracket.

7. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Something closely related to what you currently do.
    With some companies when you start typing in your job it lists more than one that could apply.
    Just select a different one and see if it’s cheaper.

Gazowl1975 likes this.
  8. gpierce

gpierce Active Member

I've become something of an expert and legitimately getting lower insurance quotes over the years, I have spreadsheets and all sorts. The big tips I would give you are...

Tweak job description. I could call myself a joiner, a kitchen fitter, a bathroom installer, all are true, all have different prices. Don't flat out lie, but look at the options.

Prices for insurance fluctuate from week to week by hundreds of pounds. I'm looking for myself at the moment, quotes I had back 3 weeks ago at £700 are currently at £1,350 with identical details. In a few weeks the prices will change again - so if it's expensive, try the following week.

Change the start date of the policy to at least a week in the future, ideally more like 2 weeks - I've had quotes where this has reduced the price by a couple of hundred.

Get insurance quotes in the morning, Sundays are the cheapest. I kid you not, two identical quotes can give vastly different prices depending if you get the quote at 11pm on a Friday night vs 11am on a Sunday morning.

Less miles isn't always cheaper, and don't go for a round number like 10k. Run a quote on 9,500 or 11,000.

Adding business usage in addition to SDP+C can actually lower the price sometimes.

If you can, choose the right car. Insurance groups and engine size aren't everything. Choose the least cool car you can think of - you'll be hard pressed to find something cheaper to insure than a Smart ForFour from about 2005.

Astramax and WillyEckerslike like this.
  9. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

I got told it's cheaper to say your car is parked on road than on drive, as most cars are stolen by taking keys from the house

10. Gazowl1975

Gazowl1975 Member

Thanks would going as a named driver help?

11. gpierce

gpierce Active Member

Depends how you’re going to drive. If you are basically the main driver but have somebody else as the main driver, it’s called Fronting. I could imagine you’d get away with it, but your driving history is already not great, I wouldn’t make it worse.

What can help though is adding somebody else as a named driver to your policy. They don’t need to ever actually drive your car. I’ve had my mum on my policy for a few years before because it brought the price down - maybe try that.

12. TheCatalyst

TheCatalyst New Member

13. Gazowl1975

Gazowl1975 Member

14. TheCatalyst

TheCatalyst New Member

Too Long; Didn't Read