Carrying tools on a scooter

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Martin26, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Martin26

Martin26 New Member

I’ve had enough of sitting in traffic around London to get around and do the odd jobs that get passed to me, so I’m thinking of getting a scooter to get some time back and maybe earn a bit more money in the process.

I’ve seen Handy Squad and 0800 Handyman using scooters to get around town so it seems to work.

Anyone got any idea or photos of what these guys are carrying around with them in those boxes on the back?

Cheers

Mart

2. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

You could double up as a Pizza Delivery driver in the evenings!

longboat, Heat and KIAB like this.
  3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

I would think a normal motorbike with panniers as well as a topbox would be better.
    Eee lad! We had a plumbers bag strapped to the crossbar of a pushbike the soldering bag on the carrier and several lengths of iron gas pipe strapped along the frame also when I were an apprentice!
    Brakes did very little on hills as I found out heading down a steep side road towards Wandsworth road one day, just had to swing out into the main road and pray!:D:D

longboat, Heat and KIAB like this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    longboat, Martin26 and teabreak like this.
  5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

It wont be long before ye olde hand cart makes a comeback................after the trades bike of course!

Heat and KIAB like this.
  6. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Lots of weight hanging way beyond the back wheel though must handle like a pig on corners!;)

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Remember when I was a kid, we had a sweep who got around on a bike,rods tied to cross bars,vac on rear carrier,other bits in panniers & tied to handlebars.:)

Heat and teabreak like this.
  8. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Electric ones of course controlled by an app!:)

Astramax likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

10. Martin26

Martin26 New Member

Hadn’t thought about that ;-)

Seems to be working for James (Lord) Irwin so much so, he jacked in his job as an investment banker.

Odds jobs that is, not pizza delivery.

11. Martin26

Martin26 New Member

Only problem with panniers is getting through the traffic.

I find there’s enough to worry about what’s going on in front of me let alone behind.

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Always Deliveroo..:D

13. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Bikes do not have the fat bulges each side of the wheel because the engine is between your legs, so most panniers do not go far past the footpegs, certainly not past the handlebars, just my experience with carrying luggage on a bike.
    The weight is better distributed too lower COG.

Deleted member 11267 likes this.
  14. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Your scooter will get lifted by naughty scummy people,hey dont assist moped enabled criminals. They steal basic mopeds or better to do a 1 off crime and dump it http://news.met.police.uk/news/three-charged-in-relation-to-moped-enabled-crimes-311684

Worked central london for 30 years just doing boiler repairs & exchanges. It got to a stage that it was cheaper to pay a driver £40 a day to chauffeur me around in my van :) but it has its advantages.

carrying tools around london,you will need a very good explanation when stopped ;) also on street parking is limited.

dont know what trade you do but Just charge your clients london prices they can afford it,they expect a london charge like https://www.pimlicoplumbers.com/rates

15. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Should that read... controlled by an ape!

WillyEckerslike and teabreak like this.
  16. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

17. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

Do they fit through doors?

18. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

who knows, Interesting but don't think they are available in uk

19. greenback78

greenback78 Active Member

Get a cargo e-bike. Gives you access to more than just the roads. Some really good options out there.

20. gpierce

gpierce Active Member

Funny you should mention - was contemplating the idea of putting together a kit in a rucksack and doing some handyman jobs from a bike - only small jobs, less than 2 hours, obviously not really any materials. Putting up shelves. fixing odd bits, that kind of thing. Carry basic tools, handful of plugs, common screws, etc. Here's what I had thought;

10.8 and 12v tools have come on a lot. No need for the size and weight of an 18v twinkit. Money no object I'd consider the Milwaukee M12 line - some of their drill and impacts have amazing specs and 6ah batts. You wouldn't *need* an impact driver, just a drill would do the job. They also do a small circ, small vacuum etc - pick your loadout.

I'd also carry a small level, maybe a laser level, hammer, a pair of pliers, a couple of types of glue - probably a tube of mitre adhesive, small wood glue, a tube of sealant & adhesive, handful of red plugs with screws, brown plugs with screws, hollow anchors - I think you could fairly well equip yourself into a rucksack without unbearable weight or size.