Will it work?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by billathome65, Feb 12, 2020.

1. billathome65

billathome65 Member

Doing a job that requires a bit of sanding but want to try something to see if it works.

Ive got a vacuum which is designed to pick up hot ash ( Ash & sanding dust fairly similar theoretically ) that's never been used. easier just to sort the burner by hand lol.

And I've a cheep orbital sander that has a crappy plastic box on the back that is only ever used on sills and flat panel doors.

Ive had a thought, if I attached the hose of the vacuum to the **** of the sander and used some perforated mesh obital pads say Merka or festool.

Do you recon it will work? if so what pads do you recon worth trying it out with think prodec do mesh ones to.

Or has anyone tried something similar?

Cheers

2. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

If the pads have holes in and you have something attached that sucks then it should work.

3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Yes. Seal bag inside vac with tape. Helps catch the fine dust.Use duck tape and waste pipe fittings and bodge on sander to hose. 120g or 180g mesh. Sand away. I used my £30 Titan vac and Henry with £30 orbital for years. Most sanders only have 2.5mn orbit but good enough for DIY. I have festool kit now but sometimes hook up to Titan Vs carting the large vac to jobs.

billathome65 likes this.
  4. billathome65

billathome65 Member

The vac I'm looking to hook up to is one specifically for ash so has built in filtration

So can I use standard orbital pads with holes in or do I need the mesh type?

If it works will save me a few quid whilst speeding up jobs.

Cheers

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The Merka or Abranet mesh pads are far better than the discs with holes in, your idea is no novel and will work fine............... been doing the same here for over 20 years.;)

billathome65 likes this.
  6. billathome65

billathome65 Member

Cheers always rubbed down by hand and whilst it's not a new idea wondered what the success would likely be. Cheers for the advice on the pads to use will pick some up.

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Look on ebay for far better prices.

8. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Stick something like a Henry bag over the centre of the filter you have in vacuum.Any
    hepa bag will work. Need that for dust. To be honest with the few holes paper discs work just as well as mesh. My festool has 54 holes while cheap sander has 6. This means mesh don't preform so well as it should so paper is good enough. That's what I found

billathome65 likes this.
  9. billathome65

billathome65 Member

Cheers for the heads up on the bag won't hurt to bag it better safe than sorry aye as me old man would say lol I've got some paper sanding pads so will do test run with them and will pick up some mesh pads to.

10. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Mirka autonet are tuffer than standard mesh so good for naff wood. Pad savers help to and you can cut to size or even glue on for a repair. I use mirka pad savers on festool as you have to. Different velcro on festool so mesh don't grip. Anyone reading this, always buy the correct pad savers for your tool.There are different types with different hole positions. I've also made my own from wide velcro on cheap sanders

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Never had a problem, been using velcro backing on many makes of sanders and many differing brands of abrasive paper and mesh, in the early days of velcro backed adhesive I cut my own discs and punched out the appropriate size holes where required as a wide range to suit a variety of sanders was not available.......but them youngen's today don't know there born! :cool:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020