Wood type for floorboards?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by bobo29, Feb 13, 2020.

1. bobo29

bobo29 Member

I live in a house built in 1926 which has standard wooden floorboards (about 119mm width) that are laid on the wooden joists and then nailed in place.

I need to replace two of these floorboards as the previous owner cut a hole across them to facilitate a vent for a (now removed) gas fire.

The problem I'm finding is that all "official" floorboards sold by retailers are tongue and groove rather than the traditional type that just falls into place.

Can anyone recommend any wood types that I can use? I know softwood is not recommended but I'm struggling to find any ordinary shops that sell anything good. https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Redwood-PSE-Timber---20-5mm-x-119mm-x-2-4m/p/9000036459 would fit perfectly but I'm not sure it's the right thing.

2. That will be fine, the vast majority of floorboards are softwood.

3. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Yep fine as Deleted member 11267 says.

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

You can always cut the tongue off if you want square edge.

The board may be the same width but could be different thickness, so may need to use packers.

Redwood is good but would get from local merchants instead.

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Are these floorboards exposed or covered by carpet, vinyl, etc ?!

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Go to buy from a salvage/reclamation yard the size you need.

7. bobo29

bobo29 Member

Thanks for replies all. They will be covered by carpet and underlay when my work is completed.

8. barbaricduck

barbaricduck Active Member

Personally I wouldn't buy any timber bar sheets from Wickes. I find a lot of their natural timber tends to be more kinky and twisted than my mind ! o_O

Astramax likes this.
  9. bobo29

bobo29 Member

Unfortunately it’s the only choice I’ve got really, local shops are Homebase, Wickes, Jewson’s and Travis Perkins, the other retailers don’t seem to have the right size or are secretive over what they sell.

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

That's one reason for suggesting a reclamation yard as the reclaimed timber is on size and in a sound condition and not sourced from a banana plantation.

11. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

The reason I asked if floorboards are being left exposed or carpeted over is that as the OP has now answered ‘carpeted’ - just replace the section with whatever ..... why does it matter, soft wood, reclaimed timber, hardwood, redwood, etc

Any timber can be cut/planned to size so as long as same thickness (saves using packers) so can be chipboard, ply, mdf, etc

It’s a small section that’s gonna be carpeted over ,,,,, Not difficult surely ?

Sure some timber is poor quality but that goes for any usage

A slight twist here will be ok by the time is screwed to each joist - it ain’t gonna move

Crack on :)

12. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

If buying white/redwood floorboards, and are doing a large area, if you have the chance, bring them in to the room you are going to install in, and leave them there for a couple of weeks with the heating on. I find that most softwood, often stacked in unheated sheds, bought in winter when the air is damp shrinks a fair bit in a centrally heated house.

13. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

If it's from a tree that's fine.;)